Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ VE engine replacment. Like for like. No matching engine number required

Shaun099

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Now I've started this thread because I want to clear up all this rubbish that when you need to change your blown VE engine and you have to have the exact engine numbers on the timing cover to match your own engine now i can assure you that is a load of crap.
I have a ve sv6 2006 manual which needed a new engine I got one out of a ve 2009 calias used my own sensors and loom and car starts and run no issues what so ever.
So any LY7 engine will run no matter what car year it's from as long as it going into a car that had an LY7 engine init from factory.
Be the same with all ve engines. You don't need the exact engine numbers on the timing cover to match you're old engine as long as it's an LY7 or LE0 or LTT or what ever yours is that's all you have make sure.
So don't let anyone say otherwise and before people start bad mouthing me. I am a fully qualified mechanic i've done it myself. I did this to prove a point as so many wreckers state that your timing cover numbers have to be the same and tell you it won't run.
Use your ecu and loom and away you go.
Just want to add aswell will be the same with vz alloytec motors aswell. Don't need exact engine number on the timing cover if you need a replacement engine.

Last edited:

Shaun099

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Just want to add aswell will be the same with vz alloytec motors aswell. Don't need exact engine number on the timing cover if you need a replacement engine.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
depends on your definition of motor
most people on here are not mechanics and just trying to keep their cars running
they want plug and play
i have swapped plenty of motors
only had to change cylinder heads, inlet manifold, transmission

Shaun099

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
The Engine if it needs to be replaced as it's stuffed doesn't run or has bent valves or timing chain has snapped or like my old engine timing jumped and it blew all the rocker arms and bent the valves in both heads. Engine swaps are plug and play if using same engine type that came in the car. Should never have to change cylinder heads or inlet manifold or transmission in a engine replacement. Only if you were doing a conversion to a different engine that wasn't fitted into you're model car.
Like I said if you read it properly it says swap it for another engine the exact same type.

Last edited:

Shaun099

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
I'm did this because to anyone who owns a ve or vz that suffers timing chain failure and the engine goes bang. When you source for another engine you get told you need the exact engine numbers to match the old engine. That it's a load of bullshit. I can post a pic of my old engine number and the new engine number I have in my commodore and they are totally different I only swapped 6 sensors over left my loom inside the engine bay and dropped it in got it all bolted up and plugged in coolant and oil fuel and kicked over first turn of the key still does.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I have a vs V6 le0 176kw can I out a VE engine with a higher output

Shaun099

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
I have a vs V6 le0 176kw can I out a VE engine with a higher output

Yes you can but for that you will need the ECU and loom as you aren't keeping it an le0. The timing is different between the two and ECU programming is different. If you stayed le0 then you could just get another le0 engine bare and drop it in. Changing it to the high output engine isn't hard either can be done.

Shaun099

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
When I say engine number I mean the number on the timing cover. They do not have to match you're numbers for a replacement engine..
If it is ly7 then get another ly7 if it's le0 get another le0 and so on. Those three letters is what you go on not the numbers on the timing cover.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Sweet. I like learning something new.

Matt_JET VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Now I've started this thread because I want to clear up all this rubbish that when you need to change the motor. You need to have the exact engine numbers to match. I can assure you that is a load of crap. I have a ve sv6 2006 manual which needed a new motor I got one out of a ve 2009 calias used my own sensors and loom and car starts and run no issues what so ever.
So any ly7 engine will run no matter what car year it's from.
Be the same with all ve engines. You don't need the exact engine numbers to match you're old engine as long as it's an ly7 or le0 or ltt or what ever your numbers you have. That's all you have make sure. So don't let anyone say otherwise and before people start bad mouthing me. I am a fully qualified mechanic. I've done it myself.
Now I've started this thread because I want to clear up all this rubbish that when you need to change the motor. You need to have the exact engine numbers to match. I can assure you that is a load of crap. I have a ve sv6 2006 manual which needed a new motor I got one out of a ve 2009 calias used my own sensors and loom and car starts and run no issues what so ever.
So any ly7 engine will run no matter what car year it's from.
Be the same with all ve engines. You don't need the exact engine numbers to match you're old engine as long as it's an ly7 or le0 or ltt or what ever your numbers you have. That's all you have make sure. So don't let anyone say otherwise and before people start bad mouthing me. I am a fully qualified mechanic. I've done it myself.

Hi Shaun,

I have a 06 ve omega with a LEO engine, has a knocking noise and may need replacing. I also have a 05 vz Calais LY7 that I was gonna scrap. But now with this knocking noise, I was wondering if it was possible to replace the Ve LEO with the vz LY7 engine. If so what is needed?