Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Moosejaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
I'm not certain which seals you mean?
Do you mean the seal on the filler cap? If so, you might need a new filler cap?

Do you mean the seal on the ghetto bleeder?
No not those seals. After replacing the seals on the coolant intake housing ( the round and the oddish square one) and then bolting the housing back up to required torque i found that there was a gap of a few mm between housing and block.
Screenshot_20200626-133336_Photos.jpg

Moosejaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
No not those seals. After replacing the seals on the coolant intake housing ( the round and the oddish square one) and then bolting the housing back up to required torque i found that there was a gap of a few mm between housing and block. View attachment 211960
That is your picture there... unfortunately i did not take a shot of mine. I imagined that the two surfaces would have mated under correct torque and i was reluctant to force it further before checking. So the gist of it is..had a leak went to fix it and found on refit the gap was there..wasnt sure about it so continued..leak persisted..teied again..same leak. Q: should those two surface mate tightly or is the gap normal?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
That is your picture there... unfortunately i did not take a shot of mine. I imagined that the two surfaces would have mated under correct torque and i was reluctant to force it further before checking. So the gist of it is..had a leak went to fix it and found on refit the gap was there..wasnt sure about it so continued..leak persisted..teied again..same leak. Q: should those two surface mate tightly or is the gap normal?

I did mine a few weeks ago with no trouble.
The gap you refer to is not important because the fitting you show is the one with O ring inside the block, so provided you thoroughly cleaned the fitting and the block before fitting the O ring, and smeared a little rubber grease or vasolene, you should have no leak unless the fitting or block is damaged.
The other surface with the funny shaped rubber is the one which should fit hard to the block.

Moosejaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Ok thanks. I didnt apply any sort of lube but i am going to redo with a new housing. I have seen a couple around for sale including a VE housing would anybody know if they are compatible? It does look the same with exception of a Bleed tube. Could it be used by blocking off extra tube?
s-l400.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
VZ and VE are different because of different circulation. Just get the right one. If you block off a VE one, that’s just another weak point to give out.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’ll try remember to get some pics of the differences in the morning

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
While you have it apart next time try assembling it with the seals removed and see if there's still a gap or not and make sure there's no rust or crud stopping the neck from sliding all the way in. In theory bolting the two parts together should be simple. The only problem I've had with that job was when I filled the seal grooves with gasket goo for extra good sealing. That made the Oring jump out of the groove as I tightened the bolts and it leaked the next day :(

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
While you have it apart next time try assembling it with the seals removed and see if there's still a gap or not and make sure there's no rust or crud stopping the neck from sliding all the way in. In theory bolting the two parts together should be simple. The only problem I've had with that job was when I filled the seal grooves with gasket goo for extra good sealing. That made the Oring jump out of the groove as I tightened the bolts and it leaked the next day :(
I assume you are referring to the odd shaped rubber because I would think it almost impossible for the O ring on the tube section to come adrift.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I assume you are referring to the odd shaped rubber because I would think it almost impossible for the O ring on the tube section to come adrift.
Problem was I filled the groove with so much goop the o rings were both sitting way too proud and the goop actually ejected one or both of them to the side between the two metal faces and they got sheared off by the torque of the bolts. I must have been thinking "there's no way coolant is getting past these" hahaha
Yeah, don't do that LoL, make sure both orings sit nice and deep in the grooves. So a few days later I had to do it again with a new pack of oringa and only rubbed a smear of goo on them. It's still good about 4 years later.

Moosejaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
[QUOTE="greenacc, post: 3102393, member: 41574"
Yeah, don't do that LoL, make sure both orings sit nice and deep in the grooves. So a few days later I had to do it again with a new pack of oringa and only rubbed a smear of goo on them. It's still good about 4 years later.[/QUOTE]
Solid advice..i might give the old housing another go it seems in good shape..but about the goo what do you use to smear on? I have this handy..
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg