Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
For this job I don't think it matters too much which product. Those aviation ones are usually pretty good as long as it says it is suitable for rubber. A smear of gasket silicone on the rings would also work but the one I had was a brown one like contact adhesive. Can't remember what I even had that for, no doubt it's not the right thing to use with coolant orings. Really Orings should not need any sealant on them because they are designed to seal by compression against the metal faces. Sealant will only help if the faces are corroded to help fill the pits, if you're lucky.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
For this job I don't think it matters too much which product. Those aviation ones are usually pretty good as long as it says it is suitable for rubber. A smear of gasket silicone on the rings would also work but the one I had was a brown one like contact adhesive. Can't remember what I even had that for, no doubt it's not the right thing to use with coolant orings. Really Orings should not need any sealant on them because they are designed to seal by compression against the metal faces. Sealant will only help if the faces are corroded to help fill the pits, if you're lucky.

That's correct. All you need is something a bit slippery for the O ring but not the funny shaped rubber.
The only reason I used a little rubber grease was so the circular fitting with the O ring would slip inside the block easy, and it did.
I would not use anything on the funny shaped rubber as it is better fitted dry, as you found out the hard way.
I cleaned the fittings where the rubbers go with a small wire brush and cleaned the block with a bit of emery cloth..

Moosejaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Thanks to yourself and the others i now have good seals and new water pump up front...but...upon doing the the refill and bleed i noticed that the radiator inlet hose did not at any time fill..it remained squeezy and no liquid came out of bleeder...is it now fair to say that the thermostat did not open even though temps above 100 were reached? Possibly looking at the dreaded thermostat replacement drama? Any other possible cause or explanations would be very welcome.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
This is an amazing write up. I have serious issues with my cars cooling system. I hope I can sort these out. Would a pressure test be the first thing to do in order to find where the leak is or do you just go ahead and change hoses gaskets etc

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This is an amazing write up. I have serious issues with my cars cooling system. I hope I can sort these out. Would a pressure test be the first thing to do in order to find where the leak is or do you just go ahead and change hoses gaskets etc
Finding a leak should not be difficult, especially if you are using the correct red coolant as it leaves pink stains everywhere when it dries.
Where is it leaking from?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
After reading this write up,
Very well presented.

I now relise that I may have the wrong coolent in my LY7 Adventra,
I noticed the other day it was Green, [possibly from the previous owner]
Isn't Green for Cast Iron Engines ?
Isn't the LY7 suppose to have Red ?
Is this correct ?

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Generally it’s a safe assumption.

However there are green coolants that meet the specifications. There are green coloured coolants that don’t.

Now because we don’t know the history of the vehicle, it would be a safe bet to get one in there that is for sure the correct type and a red coolant meeting specifications is the surest way forward.

It would take a lot of flushes because we can’t remove the thermostat. You can remove heater hoses and the radiator hoses and try your best.

Using a vacuum coolant filler that attaches to a compressor would be about the only sure way to get it all out with minimal flushes of demineralised water.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Used air bleed screw filling up.

This is after a thermostat opening. Still air coming through. A lot more was bleed after this too. Ran the car for another 40 mins with spells of revs at about 1800. After those, heaps of air comes through.

Goes to show how using the air bleed screw and leaving the cap off for a few minutes is such a long way from actually bleeding out all the air.
leyM6Ts.mp4

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Feel free to comment.
I’m sorry but I can’t go on any further. It only depresses me as I realise how inadequate I am when it comes to these fangle dangle cars:(