Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ with cylinder head issue

AMiller

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Hi all, I’m a first timer on this forum and have limited knowledge of commodore and car mechanics in general, but am hoping that people may be able to give me some advice.

Please feel free to let me know if there is a better place to discuss this.

I have a VZ commodore wagon that has done 320,000kms and has basically blown a gasket. One of the cylinders has very limited pressure, causing the car to have not much power and vibrate heavily when driving.

I’m wondering what to do with the car. For me, it’s not worth trying to fix.

Is it worth making available for sale to someone who may want to get it up and running, or use it for various other parts? It is registered until January.

It’s dual fuel (gas and petrol), has original transmission and quite new tyres.

With my limited car knowledge I just don’t really know what the best thing to do is and am hoping someone here might have some ideas. Thanks for your time.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You could swap the motor with a second hand one from the wreckers.

If not, then I’d just unload the car as is for a grand and be done with it. You need to put a tab on your time to strip the car down, sell the parts, get stuffed about by buyers, then pay to have the body removed. It might not be worth it to you. If you enjoy pulling the car apart and have some spare time here and there, it might be worth your while to part it out.

A licensed body is often just what someone is looking for if they have smashed a car with good running gear.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Trade up. Commodores are plentiful, and nowhere near as exxy to bring your present ride up to mechanically pristine condition. It would definitely have appeal to somebody who knows their way around these engines e.g. as a restoration project.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
looks good but im in Sydney bugger