Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ with sludge - best process to remove?

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
SabathSS can't believe those photo's ay... I guess that's what happens when you leave an oil change for 45,000km's+ !!!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
As a point of interest, is the Alloytech a non-interference engine? These pictures are terrible by the way. Did the VE survive?

Interference. They like to smash valves. I've seen one that snapped the cam girdles in the head because there was that much force. As for the VE, it survived.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
SabathSS can't believe those photo's ay... I guess that's what happens when you leave an oil change for 45,000km's+ !!!

Exactly. It's a good picture to bring out to show people what being cheap and not shelling out $60 for oil and $12 for a filter once a year could result in.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i would drain and change filter

fill with diesel idle for 10 -15 mins ,drain change filter and fill with new oil

repeat again in 1K the do regular oil and filter changes 5K~10k

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Um, the OP said that the cheapo basic oils like Castrol GTX and valvoline XLD have high detergent. Is this true ?
I've always gone by the logic that expensive oils have better / more detergents and therefor do a better job cleaning your engine. Can anyone confirm ?

Back on topic, if your engine is sludged up bad i don't think any number of oil changes is going to fix it. I'd be definitely popping the rocker covers off and scrubbing it if you have the skills to do so. Be carefull and make sure you don't let any chunks fall down the galleries.... plug them with rag before you do anything. A Denstist vacuum would be awesome for this job.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
the best oil to use for "cleaning" purposes is a diesel oil, caltex "delo 400" has the highest detergent rating ive come across, castrol GTX diesel is pretty good too

most alloytecs are too far gone to flush out... usually needs the covers and sump off to do the job properly

Sharpie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp S1 Exec
Diesel engine oil, rally boys use it....il let u figure out why!

Juan

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Commodore
In my opinion the oils used are adding to the sluge problem because of additives in the oil. I would not use a Valvoline oil even if I got a tanker load for nothing.
Use Castrol Modern engine and change the oil and filter every 6000 k works out about the same as the dearer oil with 10 000 k change but is cleaner for the engine .
I would flush it with 50% Kero and engine oil a few times and put in a new oil filter each time . Drive it slowly around the block each time. Then when the oil filter stays clean . Then new oil and filter and see how she goes for a while and if ok new oil again in a few weeks . Then every 6000 k.
Some service people charge you for top expensive oils but put in crap oil instead . I have seen situations where the oil was not changed at all.
If I am paying for a service I put a nail polish seal on the sump plug although some wise asses just crack the plug and retighten and I sample the oil after . Mostly I do my own .
Also if you get oil into the cooling system after it is fixed run Kero as coolant for a while to absorb and strip the oil , then water to strip the kero then normal coolant .

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
In my opinion the oils used are adding to the sluge problem because of additives in the oil. I would not use a Valvoline oil even if I got a tanker load for nothing.
Use Castrol Modern engine and change the oil and filter every 6000 k works out about the same as the dearer oil with 10 000 k change but is cleaner for the engine .
I would flush it with 50% Kero and engine oil a few times and put in a new oil filter each time . Drive it slowly around the block each time. Then when the oil filter stays clean . Then new oil and filter and see how she goes for a while and if ok new oil again in a few weeks . Then every 6000 k.
Some service people charge you for top expensive oils but put in crap oil instead . I have seen situations where the oil was not changed at all.
If I am paying for a service I put a nail polish seal on the sump plug although some wise asses just crack the plug and retighten and I sample the oil after . Mostly I do my own .
Also if you get oil into the cooling system after it is fixed run Kero as coolant for a while to absorb and strip the oil , then water to strip the kero then normal coolant .
never buy a company car or one with a poor service history or no history

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 2,237
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 2,064