Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Won’t Start and system not showing any faults

Hen1999

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Alloytec Commodore
this may even be how it was programmed in to the car,
In saying that, did they Duplicate the Key Head ?
Because the Original Key Head programming maybe the error in the BCM,
So they have just duplicated the error ?
I stand corrected if I am wrong.
It’s possible because it is the same key head, only difference between the old key and newly programmed one, the engine doesn’t turn when turning the ignition

Hen1999

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a friend that has the exact same issue as you,
So I said to him to wiggle the Key Head around [not to much to break the Key Off] so the pin on the key would contact the slipring around the ignition switch, and he got it started,
I told him to come straight around [to my place] and put the scanner in it,
it had a slip ring error [which does not activate the MIL], and he was using an old Key Head,
I had one in stock, placed the Key Blade into the new Key Head, binned the old one, after destroying it,
Went out and programmed the new one in,
Started first time, and has every time, as it a daily car,
This was 8 months ago.
The rest is history.
That’s the same as me. Chucked out the old key head, programmed a new one and still using the old key blade. With the old key head I was able to pull the key apart, check the clips that hold the fob were tight, made sure everything was screwed in and nothing damaged and this would start the car and once but that was it. I ended up pulling over Friday at a KFC and couldn’t start the car again, so I that’s when I got the new key and was on my way thinking my problems were sorted but they’re still continuing unfortunately.

Hen1999

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had the exact same issue with my VZ - except that it made a lot of cam chain noise for the past 5000kms.
Had all kinds of experts check everything, got a new key cut on their advice, burn out a starter motor trying to get it running (because it would start for a second or two every now and then). Tried every combination of buttons and door locks - as advised by the experts.
In the end, aftere days and days of reearching the issue - including finding and searching this forum - I came to the conclusion that the only thing left was the cam chains and tensioners worn out.
Replaced those (see my thread here) and (almost) everything is back to normal and starting is totally reliable and nice and quiet.
PS: the remaining issue is that it won't rev over 4000rpm, I'm suspecting that the inlet cam advance mechanism is clogged with gunk.....)
Cheers,
Joe
I had the exact same issue with my VZ - except that it made a lot of cam chain noise for the past 5000kms.
Had all kinds of experts check everything, got a new key cut on their advice, burn out a starter motor trying to get it running (because it would start for a second or two every now and then). Tried every combination of buttons and door locks - as advised by the experts.
In the end, aftere days and days of reearching the issue - including finding and searching this forum - I came to the conclusion that the only thing left was the cam chains and tensioners worn out.
Replaced those (see my thread here) and (almost) everything is back to normal and starting is totally reliable and nice and quiet.
PS: the remaining issue is that it won't rev over 4000rpm, I'm suspecting that the inlet cam advance mechanism is clogged with gunk.....)
Cheers,
Joe
Hopefully that isn’t my problem, difference being that my engine doesn’t turn or give me anything when turning key in ignition. Only thing it does do and you might faintly hear it in the video but when I turn the key you can hear a power type noise? A quiet whirring noise is the best to describe it, as I said said you can slightly hear it in the video

Hen1999

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hopefully that isn’t my problem, difference being that my engine doesn’t turn or give me anything when turning key in ignition. Only thing it does do and you might faintly hear it in the video but when I turn the key you can hear a power type noise? A quiet whirring noise is the best to describe it, as I said said you can slightly hear it in the video
Btw Ignore the sound of the antenna going up

Hen1999

Reaction score
Members Ride
UPDATE
Saw a mechanic today and the car has been working fine all day so I was expecting nothing to come up on a scan. Two problems did come up, can’t remember the first one but one of them was the fuel relay. He took Out the start relay and swapped it with the high beam relay(the one next to it, sorry if it’s the wrong name). My car hasn’t been giving any issues today but I will check later if it’ll start/not start. This is definitely a relief because I’ve been assuming the worst thinking it’s a ecu/BCM problem

Wombat2020

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
To confirm this is solved now? The fuel line has to be primed/ has pressure before the ecu will try and crank the motor?

Wombat2020

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Cheers,
Joe
Mine wont go over 4000 when in park, is that the limit when in park or limp home mode. Its an Auto so normal driving doesnt go over 4000 much anyway.

gunnerjj5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore executive
Hi all seems like I am having similar problems. Last time this happened the spare key worked and a new key. Car sounds like it's about to start but just won't fire. Wondering what everyone's solution was to this

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is no one solution. The causes are many and varied. The only way to solve them is with a skilled technician on a bidirectional scanner. A high end one.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I have an issue with not starting the first go but it's a bit different to yours mine won't crank first go, took me five or six goes the other day. I tried like others have done swapping keys to try and do the easy and cheaper things first but it still happens occasionally. The only difference is every now and again it won't crank first go but will work on the second go. I had the RACV load test the battery and it was fine and suggested the alternator or starter motor.