Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz wont start. (electrical problem)

Tayler

Reaction score
Members Ride
Standard vz commodore v6 (175kw) (2004)
Went to start my vz and and its almost as if my battery is dead. Only thing is its a brand new battery which i have also had tested. The screen in the instrument cluster will turn on, try to do its system check then stop halfway. System check disappears and im left with the holden symbol on the left of the screen for about 20 seconds even if i switch the ignition off and take out the keys. After 20 seconds or so the screen goes blank and then a short while after that the odometer pops back up. Im hoping it may be the battery in the key but suspect it being a fault with the computer. Has anyone heard of this before???????????????

keybored68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Alloytec
Make sure the battery terminals are done up tight.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
What K said. + + + +

Terminals on the battery AND inside the clamps MUST be cleaned either with emery cloth/course sand paper or a battery cleaning tool.
Also, with the battery DISCONNECTED check for loose connections at starter/alternator/earth points etc etc

edit...You might also have the battery tested.
I once had a new battery that was flat from RACQ so the bloke jumped it then told me to take the car for a run to charge.
I said no thanks, I will have another battery, one that works.

Last edited:

Tayler

Reaction score
Members Ride
Standard vz commodore v6 (175kw) (2004)
Battery should be fine I will sand the terminals just to see if it's a dodgy connection but loose wiring with starter motor may be on the money as I've just replaced it 2 weeks ago with a brand new one. Thanks guys! I'll let you know how I go.
Also car was running fine after i serviced and replaced starter. Also car was running fine up until yesterday morning.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sounds similar to what happened to a few people of late.
FIL's did something similar after low battery charge.

Current diagnosis is that the key needs to be removed from the BCM and relinked with a new key.

Car can start by jumping the starter relay. Otherwise system is dead. It has been ok a few times and just worked.