Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ won't start (seems to be immobiliser but can't re-mobilise it)

Lamont

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey guys,
So, I stupidly let the battery go flat in my '06 VZ, and then tried using a jumper pack to get it started again. I should say from the outset that my remote key has never worked since I bought the car, I just unlock the car with the key (central still works) and until now that's not been a problem. The first time it didn't start, it actually may have had enough battery to do so on its own the first time, I'm not sure (battery is only 3 months old) - but since then I have tried starting it maybe 20 times and each time this is pretty much what happens:
- First, I turn the key and nothing happens at all. The lights on the dash all come on but no starting action at all. The immobiliser lock symbol is flashing on the cluster and doesn't stop flashing at any stage.
- Then I try again and suddenly it cranks and sounds fine but it just never actually catches. It's only today that I've even noticed the immobiliser symbol, and given I've got plenty of crank amps (it's a 1200 amp jumper pack), I know it's not battery.

Here is what I have tried (based on what I've read on this forum from people with the same or similar problems):
1. Locking the doors, unlocking them, getting in and starting it. Even with the battery to do it, this does no good. Obviously I'm only locking them 'manually' as I have no working remote.
2. Disconnecting the battery, pumping the brake pedal to drain any residual power, re-connecting. Immobiliser light still flashing and still not starting obviously.

Things I'm not sure about:
1. How to fix the key... Do I need to get someone to replace the battery in my key or what (and this may not fix the bigger problem anyhow)?
2. I read somewhere here that the VS, VT and VX models had a system in place whereby you could leave the key in the 'on' position for 2 hours and this would bypass the immobiliser... I don't know if this is true and if so, whether it applies to VZ's also... It seems weird because obviously even if my battery were fresh and charged, then leaving the key in the on position for 2 hours would drain it, so then I'd need to jump start it.

Anyway, as you can tell I'm a rookie to Commodores (and auto-electrics actually), for me it's just a family car so any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Johnnybtt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Hey Lamont,

Did you have any luck with this issue. My young blokes VZ is similar. If you park it for a few minutes, it won't wind, has dash lights, but thas it. After you try the key maybe ten or so times, eventually it will wind over normally and fire normally...

Chhers John

Scruffy2707

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
try this as it did work on an earlier model como of mine after I replaced the battery in the remote, if auto, put in neutral, turn key to On position without starting 50 times. I found that the car would start at 35 turns but wouldn't continue starting, at 50 the car could be started at anytime after that.

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
Get a new key coded to your car. I've had this issue a few times over the years with my VY and VZ and it was always the key. Too bad keys are expensive :(

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Replace the keys; the battery is not user serviceable. The key is removed with two small screws and a replacement transponder is programmed into a new one. The new key is then used to open/close the car over several cycles.

Your problem may be that your immobiliser has no signal to disengage with a key that is very weak or at worst, dead, either by pressing the lock/unlock button and/or the nib contacting the key reader ring on the ignition barrel. Obviously, an immobilised engine does that for reasons of security, and forcing it, trying to bypass it, will do it no good.

The key can be left in the ignition but in the OFF position.

Last edited:

Rokchik72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i changed the ignition barrel and chip in the key, the car was starting and immobilizing. Friend disconnected the battery to charge it and since reconnecting it the dash lights appear, the lock icon is flashing and the car wont start??

Rokchik72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i changed the ignition barrel and chip in the key, the car was starting and immobilizing. Friend disconnected the battery to charge it and since reconnecting it the dash lights appear, the lock icon is flashing and the car wont start??

Trev084

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 6 Seat Wagon. 2005 VZ SV6
Key needs to be registered with the bcm.

Rokchik72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thankyou and yes youre so correct with that. Before turning my vz off he'd not plugged in the BCM and didnt realise so until it was too late. My car immobilizer is Engaged and Im needing to get out an Auto Locksmith out first thing Monday morning to sort what needs to be done to get my car back to immobilizing/starting like it would be doing if only........ feeling stressed.:(

olgreyfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 3.6 SW
Had the same problem with my VZ. It was gradually getting worse even with a new key. Engine would either crank over with no firing or it wouldn't crank at all. I tried to find out if there was any consistency or correlation with anything.

Then I spotted it....a winking "padlock" on the dashboard.

Solution.....
Either press the "unlock" button on the remote a little longer than a split second as I normally do. This allows the engine immobilizer to also register (it appears to be a bit slower into action than the unlocking servos)
or
If you are already sitting in the car and getting ready to start and notice the "padlock" winking at you, press the unlock button on your remote again....the "padlock" should unwink.

It's taken me 2 years to work out......