Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ won't start without help

Titchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berliner station wagon 2005
My VZ won't start without help, when I turn the ignition on the dash lights up like normal,but when I turn the key nothing , I took the exciter wire of the starter motor , and cranked the motor over ,with a screwdriver, replaced the exciter wire , then the car started with the key , the car will then start with the key all-day , but the next day the same thing , the car has a new battery, any help would be greatly appreciated.

graham warburton

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ Commodore Executive Wagon
Sounds like solenoid or starter trouble. If you are handy with tools, dismantle the starter and give it a good clean. Carefull putting it back together as it is easy to break the commutator brushes. If solenoid trouble, buy a new one from auto elec. They are not designed to be repaired. Enjoy.

Titchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will give it a try, and get back to you, thanks mate.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Remove battery leads and clean inside connections and battery terminal posts with sand paper/emery cloth/battery cleaning tool.
And while the leads are disconnected check c/clean connections to starter.
And how old is the remote ?
I have known remotes to cause problems with starting when the remote battery is old

Titchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Remove battery leads and clean inside connections and battery terminal posts with sand paper/emery cloth/battery cleaning tool.
I have known remotes to cause problems with starting when the remote battery is old
Sounds like solenoid or starter trouble. If you are handy with tools, dismantle the starter and give it a good clean. Carefull putting it back together as it is easy to break the commutator brushes. If solenoid trouble, buy a new one from auto elec. They are not designed to be repaired. Enjoy.
I will give it a try, and get back to you, thanks mate.
I removed the starter and gave it a clean , before I put it back in l tested it on the bench, no problems, when I put it back in the same thing , after l cranked it at the starter and went back to the key, l can hear the petrol pump kick in, then the car starts no problem, the car will start all day now , but tomorrow lwill have to crank it again, what do you reckon?

Titchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
I removed the starter and gave it a clean , before I put it back in l tested it on the bench, no problems, when I put it back in the same thing , after l cranked it at the starter and went back to the key, l can hear the petrol pump kick in, then the car starts no problem, the car will start all day now , but tomorrow lwill have to crank it again, what do you reckon?
The battery is new the connection's are new , l did check the leads , all good, l had the remote checked by our local locksmith again all good, anything else you can think of, l will have a go at, thanks for your time.

Titchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
The battery is new the connection's are new, did check the leads, all good, anything else you can think of, l will have a go at, thanks for your time.

Titchin

Reaction score
Members Ride
The battery is new the connection's are new, did check the leads, all good, anything else you can think of, l will have a go at, thanks for your time.
I had the remote checked by our local locksmith again all good, thanks again.