Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ won't start

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive wagon 3.6
Hi just brought a 3.6 alloy tech vz was going fine till today now won't start. Am suspecting the starter solenoid as I get the click click click when trying to start. Battery could be part of problem as is only reading 14.2 I think tried jump start wouldn't start and was to dark so back at it tomorrow any advice would be muchly appreciated

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've replaced plenty of starter motors and never had a solenoid fail on its own. Normally brushes, either worn out or burnt out due to oil inside the casing. 14.2v is fairly normal if the engine is running at idle, 14.4v would be better, unless you have a calcium. I think the first thing to do is have the battery load tested.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive wagon 3.6
Ok put another bat in out of dad's vs worked fine till this arvo then nothing turn key few times and starts. Also is there more than one type of starter i.e. the way they bolt up if so think I've brought the wrong one anyways could it be my key battery starring to die???