Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz won't start

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Neutral safety switch on the gearbox could be playing up as another possibility.

Starter motor could have crapped out is another.

You can jump the starter relay. I recently posted how in a thread I started for my FIL’s VZ not starting.
Some searching will find how others have done it too.

Ultimately you need a high end diagnostic tool plugged in to see what the car is doing.

Also, why was the car on a tow truck to start with?

Paul Davies

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6Ausr
Under the bonnet are some relays in a long box on the drivers side. They are grey. Swap the high beams relay with the starter relay.
Thank you for your reply, yesterday I removed all of the relays and tested them, they all worked. I also have checked all the fuses and they were all good too.

Paul Davies

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6Ausr
Neutral safety switch on the gearbox could be playing up as another possibility.

Starter motor could have crapped out is another.

You can jump the starter relay. I recently posted how in a thread I started for my FIL’s VZ not starting.
Some searching will find how others have done it too.

Ultimately you need a high end diagnostic tool plugged in to see what the car is doing.

Also, why was the car on a tow truck to start with?
Hello, the car was picked up by tow truck as it is has no rego, I looked at the car before I bought it and it started and ran fine.
We have stage 4 restrictions here because of the coid-19 and can only go 5ks from your house, the car was 25ks from me. the car was driven onto the truck and driven off here, but when I got home it would not start, as in it would not turn over.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Remove the starter relay and use a thick gauge wire to jump between the two pins in the picture in the thread mentioned.

Father In Laws car still has intermittent issues with this. Sometimes it starts happily.

Paul Davies

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6Ausr
Remove the starter relay and use a thick gauge wire to jump between the two pins in the picture in the thread mentioned.

Father In Laws car still has intermittent issues with this. Sometimes it starts happily.
Thank you for your help, I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to these sort of pages, but how do I find threads on here?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I crimped a flat connector to both ends of the wire so it slots into the pins nicely.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm currently very much of the mind there is an intermittent earth fault in the ECU.

So many threads on this and a common factor is a long period of time with a flat battery or low voltage.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Thank you for your reply, I'm not sure of what you are saying, where are the up and down buttons you talk of?

To the left of the steering wheel on the lower dash panel is the UP and DOWN (arrows) and SET button on the VZ. Specific combinations of pressing one or both of the arrows and SET and using ACC/ON (not start) brings up the menu on the VZ instruments display.