Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz won't start

Paul Davies

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6Ausr
To the left of the steering wheel on the lower dash panel is the UP and DOWN (arrows) and SET button on the VZ. Specific combinations of pressing one or both of the arrows and SET and using ACC/ON (not start) brings up the menu on the VZ instruments display.
Thank you, I will have a look in the morning.

Paul Davies

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6Ausr
Thank you, I will give it a try in the morning and see what happens. I will let you know.
Hi, I tried the Shorting out the start relay as you showed me in the photos and it didn't change a thing. the dash still works but the car will not crank over.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Check the metal nib on the key is clean, and likewise, the ring on the ignition barrel: give both a thorough clean and dry down. It is crucial that the key is able to carry out an unimpeded 'handshake' with the immobiliser through the interface of key nib and ring; without such, there will no start. This is, of course, the lowest level of intervention. If the car still does not start, it could be the immobiliser at fault or the ECU. Either/both ways you would need to interrogate the code on the dash and have service proceed from that point. If the battery is good, and the battery in the remote key is also good, there are few options other than to go through a short process of elimination before handing it over.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
@Big Red VF-SII Go-kart do you happen to know how to decipher the series of 1’s and zeros.

I’ve spent years trying to learn that. It’s not clear how it’s done. Clearly a binary code.

I had the binary info appear automatically years ago when the timing chain was flogged.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
@Big Red VF-SII Go-kart do you happen to know how to decipher the series of 1’s and zeros.

I’ve spent years trying to learn that. It’s not clear how it’s done. Clearly a binary code.

I had the binary info appear automatically years ago when the timing chain was flogged.

Fu, yes it is a binary sequence.
With the timing chains, the codes would reflect something about the camshaft sensor being out of phase (?)
Something I read long ago (when I first had the VZ) that the position of the 1 in each row, or multiples of 1 in each row, correspond with a fault in a circuit that is interpreted by the scan device. A normal situation would be two rows of ZEROs only (no faults). When I had the P1632 Immobiliser Fuel Disable Signal Received, there were two '1's in the top row and one '1', three digits from the last numeral in the bottom row. The tech/scanner found 2 codes were "passed" (bottom row) with one in the top row current. All codes cleared and the P1632 didn't bug me again after a couple of times. As I've covered in other posts, the P1632 is a common error in Service cars where the immobiliser circuit has been tapped-into for e.g. a kill switch (turns lights, engine off without touching key) which was still present on the VZ under the centre console throughout my ownership).

BerlinaLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 Berlina LS1 special pack
I'm currently very much of the mind there is an intermittent earth fault in the ECU.

So many threads on this and a common factor is a long period of time with a flat battery or low voltage.
You could be onto something here. Mine has a similar issue at present however does fire up when I Hotwire the relay. The car was sitting for several years. Wild goose chase now.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The car with the problem is having it happen less and less. The more it’s been driven. The better it’s getting. So that leads me to suspect either key battery, or the car’s battery having low charge. I now goes weeks without having to jump it.

Paul Davies

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6Ausr
There were so many suggestions on what could be wrong when I asked about the starting issue, so I have just put a starter switch in.

BerlinaLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 Berlina LS1 special pack
There were so many suggestions on what could be wrong when I asked about the starting issue, so I have just put a starter switch in.
In my case it ended up being a combination of 2 very simple issues - car battery had low charge and needed to be replaced, and my key was dirty.