Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV
Hi been super busy at work the last few months and done nothing with it. I will put something together in the new year and send it accross to walkinshaw in Brisbane (people who originally put it together). I've had the motor looked at and it's split the cylinder sleeve as well so block is a write off.

Assume walkinshaw is using the 95th percentile rule here and hoping the other 5% that do break don't come back to the manufacturer for warranty claims.

Other note is I contacted walkinshaw in Brisbane and they INSTANTLY blaimes fuel quality.....

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
A lot of interest and support in your quest mate, keep us informed eh?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hi been super busy at work the last few months and done nothing with it. I will put something together in the new year and send it accross to walkinshaw in Brisbane (people who originally put it together). I've had the motor looked at and it's split the cylinder sleeve as well so block is a write off.

Assume walkinshaw is using the 95th percentile rule here and hoping the other 5% that do break don't come back to the manufacturer for warranty claims.

Other note is I contacted walkinshaw in Brisbane and they INSTANTLY blaimes fuel quality.....
Fuel may well be the cause. But, that's their problem, not yours mate.
Give them one chance to rectify. Do it in writing. If they don't honour the warranty, just tell them politely you will be seeking legal advice and contacting Fair Trading. You might also mention you will post up the failure on internet forms to see what others thoughts on the catastrophic failure and lack of warranty support. Watch them jump then.
They can't ignore this and are legally obligated. Whether they realise it or not.
Good luck.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
I don't think he has a hope in hell, he will have to prove that they were at fault with the tune, the proof will be their as to why the engine blew up, bad fuel ?
Put 91 octane in any new car that demands 95 or 98 and you don't have a leg to stand on.
If it's bad 98 well that's the fuel station you will have to deal with and prove it.
If there is no faulty parts or the tune they are not going to come to the party.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
If there is no faulty parts or the tune they are not going to come to the party.

They'll have their arses covered on that one - they use preset locked tunes and the argument will be "there's plenty of other cars using exactly the same tune that are OK".

Depending on terms of the warranty it may be hard to get away with if they just point fingers at fuel quality and bring example after example of the same failure with fuel quality proven to be the case to the table.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
They'll have their arses covered on that one - they use preset locked tunes and the argument will be "there's plenty of other cars using exactly the same tune that are OK".

Depending on terms of the warranty it may be hard to get away with if they just point fingers at fuel quality and bring example after example of the same failure with fuel quality proven to be the case to the table.

Can someone remind me why people pay thousands of dollars premium for Walkinshaw's insurance? *gets popcorn*

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

So a crap tune then? There should be enough safety margin in a tune to account for hot weather and less than optimal fuel. I thought there was also a fuel pump issue with later versions getting a bigger pump to combat this exact issue?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
If the tune and parts are Walkinshaw then they are legally obligated. Unless THEY can prove incorrect fuel, oil, other "out of specification" factor, including use, caused the failure. Irrespective of what their warranty reads.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I don't think he has a hope in hell, he will have to prove that they were at fault with the tune, the proof will be their as to why the engine blew up, bad fuel ?
Put 91 octane in any new car that demands 95 or 98 and you don't have a leg to stand on.
If it's bad 98 well that's the fuel station you will have to deal with and prove it.
I don’t think you read the thread, gist is 2300 with bigger injectors stock fuel pump falls short of safe fuel supply to achieve near Walkinshaw’s advertised state of tune (power).
The gaggle of third party components to achieve the state of tune amounts to a time bomb, a joke to one skilled in safe engine upgrades for this car. But why would a customer look at the detailed energy equation when their arse is covered by a premium paid for full warranty. And the Brand reassurance.
Any case, this is a major failure not to be expected, covered specifically under consumer law.

Last edited:

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Can someone remind me why people pay thousands of dollars premium for Walkinshaw's insurance? *gets popcorn*
Insurance ? well they will always work as hard as they can to wriggle of the hook when the time comes if they have to fork out and they pay people big money to make sure of that and play every lowdown trick in the book.