Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Right, so I thought my subtle hint about waiting to hear back from the OP would be enough but clearly subtlety isn't going to work.

If you want to persist with this pathetic argument about who's right and wrong (in the legal sense) then go right ahead but I'm not much in the mood for more arguments and hurt feelings on the forum because then someone with a thin skin will complain and I'll have to send someone (or two or three) on a holiday.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
@Zeke there is no physical way this engine could produce that power safely with 98. It went lean not for lack of octane but fuel (energy) supply.
In this regard it wouldn’t matter if it were C16 or e100, leaning out fuel pressure unexpectedly at high rpm will melt stuff.
Proper practice is on 91 the knock count would cause a default to low octane and basically limp parameters if deemed the engine can’t function.
Either way is not an octane issue.
A mate has a 375KW Walkin and it pings if it's not on 98 octane, the only thing that happens is it can only take out 12 deg timing and then she will just start to ping flat out up high revs. she does not go into limp mode.
Some people will not detect that it is pinging, as it's a slight ping noise as it sounds like a little rattle that some will not pick up and some will make a real bad pinging noise.

I first came across the slight ping noise with a VL turbo that had the wick turned up and open exhaust and I said what's that noise, my wife's VS V6 stock would ping badly from new and my VS V6 that was chipped would ping but I only hear it slightly where a concrete wall was close to the car other than that I could not hear it.
My mechanic in law says new EFI cars just don't ping nowadays, BS I hear such a lot at times when just walking around town, it's like a radar to me as the head turns directly.
I have heard it with old 98 fuel in my bike with 13:1 compression, the bike had been sitting in a hot summer shed for 6 weeks, fuel tank was full but I seen a fair amount of fuel evaporated in that time and I believe 98 is more touchy to go bad.

A engine can be pinging but the ear can not pick such up and then it just progresses from there to become a louder ping.
The loudest pinging I have heard is my dads 400ci V8 run on after it was switched off, the power of that type of ping was huge, it was like bloody hell ! is it going to destroy a piston or bend a rod.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
Right, so I thought my subtle hint about waiting to hear back from the OP would be enough but clearly subtlety isn't going to work.

If you want to persist with this pathetic argument about who's right and wrong (in the legal sense) then go right ahead but I'm not much in the mood for more arguments and hurt feelings on the forum because then someone with a thin skin will complain and I'll have to send someone (or two or three) on a holiday.
It's not an argument bro it's an opinion. no one is crying here or is upset dude.
I sure hope old mate wins his case but I don't think so.

When buying a brand new car and you accept it and drive off you have just given power to the dealer, you can not come back and say look that bumper is not spot on and the doors and panels don't line up all that well, it's tuff because you accepted it, if you don't test drive it and their is problems noise from diff gear box what ever, you can have a hard time.
It's a waning from one who has bought many new cars bro.

I have seen brand new cars that have been smashed and bogged up for sale on the floor.

And I have learnt never to trust or have faith in any warranty or ACCC or any thing or anyone.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
When buying a brand new car and you accept it and drive off you have just given power to the dealer, you can not come back and say look that bumper is not spot on and the doors and panels don't line up all that well, it's tuff because you accepted it, if you don't test drive it and their is problems noise from diff gear box what ever, you can have a hard time.
It's a waning from one who has bought many new cars bro.

I have seen brand new cars that have been smashed and bogged up for sale on the floor.

And I have learnt never to trust or have faith in any warranty or ACCC or any thing or anyone.

I've also bought many new cars, so many I'd have to sit and think for half an hour to determine just how many and I always take the cars home for a few days and list faults like panel fit, paint defects and the such before taking it back and not once have I ever been knocked back when asking for the problems to be rectified.

The ACCC is not available to fight your individual consumer battles, at best they may offer some advice, if you wish to exercise your rights under the Consumer Law Legislation you need to engage an appropriately qualified legal representative.

From my many years of dealing in areas similar to this in manufacturing I believe Walkinshaw has a case to answer and I'd be shocked if they'd allow a case like this to make it into the courts, the bad press versus the repair cost would make that an idiotic business decision.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
The ACCC is not available to fight your individual consumer battles, at best they may offer some advice, if you wish to exercise your rights under the Consumer Law Legislation you need to engage an appropriately qualified legal representative.
No, that’s plain bad advice right there. Don’t know where you get that from, your lawyer? Haha!
For consumer claims in NSW up to $40,000 like this the appropriate course when a company is not complying with the law and you seek enforceable compensation orders is the CTTT.
Costs $125, can even lodge online, matter heard within weeks.
South Australia has an equivalent called Consumer and Business Affairs, never used them though.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
No, that’s plain bad advice right there. Don’t know where you get that from, your lawyer? Haha!
For consumer claims in NSW up to $40,000 like this the appropriate course when a company is not complying with the law and you seek enforceable compensation orders is the CTTT.
Costs $125, can even lodge online, matter heard within weeks.
South Australia has an equivalent called Consumer and Business Affairs, never used them though.

And in WA, the old Small Claims Tribunal is now managed by the Magistrates Court (claims up to $10k). No lawyers allowed and relatively nominal costs to lodge a claim.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R

No that isn't bad advice. There are courts that you can go to cheaply but the ACCC won't be there. Haha.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...

Okie dokie. Loud and clear
It was definately subtle... I missed it completely in fact. I didn't even realise there was an argument going on?
Anyway, point taken. I'm out for now. But like you, and others, I'm rooting for the OP here and keen to hear the outcome.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I'm about to test this, over my Daughter's Ford Hocus Pocus Focus. It's been a POS since the day she bought it. Both Ford and the local Ford dealer have continually fobbed her off. It's had 2 new transmissions, constant clutch issues and now the engine is knocking, eminating from the crankcase, and severe blow by. So bad, it spurts oil out the dipstick tube. It's so gutless it strugless to climb hills or take off on a grade, where our Mazda 2 flies up with no trouble.
All they have done this time is changed the oil and said in a msg to my girl, "we've changed the oil, the noise is gone now, your car is ready to collect". Oh and "all small cars have bad blow by. Don't worry about it, it will settle down."
I'm calling them tomorrow to give them another massive rev.
I'll be lodging a claim through ACCC tomorrow. So OP, I'll let you know how it pans out. May be of some assistance to you?

Last edited:

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm about to test this, over my Daughter's Ford Hocus Pocus Focus. It's been a POS since the day she bought it. Both Ford and the local Ford dealer have continually fobbed her off. It's had 2 new transmissions, constant clutch issues and now the engine is knocking , eminating from the crankcase, and severe blow by. So bad it spurts oil out the dipstick. It's so gutless it strugless to climb hills or take off on a grade, where our Mazda 2 flies up with no trouble.
All they have done this time is changed the oil and said in a msg to my girl, "we've changed the oil, the noise is gone now, your car is ready to collect". Oh and "all small cars have bad blow by. Don't worry about it, it will settle down."
I'm calling them tomorrow to give them another massive rev.
I'll be lodging a claim through ACCC tomorrow. So OP, I'll let you know how it pans out. May be of some assistance to you?
That's what the dealer said ? all small cars have severe blow by ? boy fact is any blow by new or not, is not right at all. the rings can not be doing their job, one thing maybe is that it was not run in correctly but only putted about and such glazed the bores, the only thing that destroys good engines like such is not getting up them enough, a lot of people believe you have to be gentle to a new engine, such is totally wrong.
I have never seen a new engine bugger up from being driven hard.