Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wag'ns

V

VeePeeVagon

Hey
I'm wondering if anyone has stories or experiences with ruggedizing Commodore wagons?
Rather than lower, I'd like to see a jacked up older series wagon, in the line of crossover/AWD/off-track vehicles.
Any idea if a VN-VR series can get raised rather than lowered, cost effectively and with OK handling?
Starting off here with a std VP Exec with 17x8 BMW wheels and 40 series tyres.
Cheers!
VP

S

scott8888

Sounds like a good project i was going to do that until the car i bought came with a body kit.
keep us updated with your progress.
Scott.

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
img172.gif

89 VN Commodore wagon fitted onto a Nissan Patrol chassis.
It runs a supercharged 5L V8 through T700 auto and is tuned by Brett using Kalmaker 2 bar Street Pro 3.
It's a weapon on the street and off road.
Brett races it off road (sometimes) and has raced it in sand drags absolutely annihilating everything there including sand drag Harleys…...much to everyone's disgust.
There is a couple of this style VN's going around and I reckon they look unreal, I would love one myself but if I remember correctly the conversion cost's around $25k! a lot to invest in a VN.

Last edited:

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
There was some company called Overlander in the late 70s that used to do that to HZs. Maybe you could give them a call.....

V

VeePeeVagon

If utes (I saw a VR/VS yesterday) have jacked up springs I imagine they could be used on the wagon.
I'm guessing Holden did have a spec that included a higher ride height for the ute, so does anyone know of these springs and whatever else going into a raised wagon?
I'm guessing the ute was raised around 4-5cm.

Thanks
Veepeewagon

deeranp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon
VeePeeVagon said:
I'm guessing Holden did have a spec that included a higher ride height for the ute, so does anyone know of these springs and whatever else going into a raised wagon?
I'm guessing the ute was raised around 4-5cm.

Yeah, that'd be the V5W "country pack" option.

You could call a Holden dealer and find out what OEM replacements
would cost (that would give you a baseline cost), then you could check out King Springs to find out what their "raised" springs cost...

www.kingsprings.com has an online catalogue which gives part numbers for all their springs.

But I'm guessing this will only get you 4 or 5cm at best.

Good luck!

/Deeran

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I must have that wagon.

UNSAFE

at any speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn battlewagon
Torana said:
There was some company called Overlander in the late 70s that used to do that to HZs. Maybe you could give them a call.....

sorry Torana i believe the overlander company from tassie is now closed

vn88calais

Perth Representative
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY Commodore 2002
yeah i seen a couple in perth like that...old vn wagon's been jacked up...big 20 inch 4x4 rims and tyres on...havent seen n e that look flash tho, they look more trashed...i think one with a nie body kit it would be kewl..but its hard to find a good body kit...i dunno try and put on a vt gts kit thatd be kewl i reckon...

V

VeePeeVagon

How about some roof rails to change the look at the top? All AWD wagons use them, and the Cdore roof is v. boring without any kind of rack. I'm putting a VR/VS interior in and after that will try again with roof rails & higher springs / ute country pack.
Would really prefer to use the current AWD C'dore wagon spring setup but haven't yet checked if the rears will fit. Front units would be v different but rear suspension should be the same as for VP - am I right?