Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wagon genuine towbar

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by VTPREDATOR, Mar 5, 2012.

1. VTPREDATOR

VTPREDATOR New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS SPORTSWAGON
    have the genuine towbar on the wagon. when connected, its loose and can wobble around back and forth inside the hitch etc. when trailer is attached, it is becoming unbearable when driving. clang clunk clang. anyone know of a fix to hold the towball hitch thingy firmly in the towbar? on my old vy there was a hole tapped into one corner of the square with a bolt. but i dont really want to do that. sorry if you dont understand my dribble. makes sense in my head. lol

cheers,

2. UFO

UFO I Believe

Members Ride:
    MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
    That doesnt sound right mate. I've towed many times with my wagon and the hitch is nice and firm. You sure they've given you the correct size ball attachment to put in? Sounds like it's too small if its so loose that it rattles about.

3. vicarious

vicarious New Member

Members Ride:
    VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
  4. VTPREDATOR

VTPREDATOR New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS SPORTSWAGON
    thanx guys, definately not the towball. vicarious that is the bolt im talking about from my vy. think i may just drill a hole and tap a thread into it....

5. UFO

UFO I Believe

Members Ride:
    MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
    sorry dude, i didnt mean the towball itself... i was referring to the neck it attaches to.
    if that neck doesnt have the correct sizing for the mounting hole you put it in, it would cause the noises you describe.

6. EraserHead

EraserHead New Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 - Alto Grey
    I have the genuine Holden 2100kg towbar and it has a bolt underneath it that you simply tighten up to stop the rattle... check to see if the hole is there - maybe the bolt fell out??

7. VTPREDATOR

VTPREDATOR New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS SPORTSWAGON
    all good fellas. i feel soooo GUMBY right now.. hahaha. walked out to the carport this morning and looked straight at the ass end of the car, and spotted the bolt underneath! cant believe i never saw it hitching up trailers. thanx everyone.

8. blasta1

blasta1 New Member

Members Ride:
    07 VE
    im hate to tell you fellas this but that bolt that ya gunna tighten to stop the tow hitch from rattling is only to be tightened when you are not towing anything , its not there to stop the hitch moving when you are towing its only there for when arnt towing the hitch is supposed to have movement when towing , this can vary from tow bar to tow bar quite dramatically some are a firm fit some seem quite loose , we supply and fit hayman reece tow bars at work and no two are the same with how tight the hitch fits into the tow bar , so for safty sake dont tighten the rattle bolt when towing as the hitch needs to be able to move freely in the tow bar . hope this makes sense its all about the weight carring ability of the heavy duty tow bar . cheers .

9. RiCeY

RiCeY F O R U M W A R R I O R

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 470rwhp
    I cant see why it would have to be able to move around when the trailer is free to pivot on the towball. What happens in the case of a solid towbar that offers no movement?

10. blasta1

blasta1 New Member

Members Ride:
    07 VE
    the difference is the weight carring ability of the tow bar if you work for holden look it up im not shittin any one its just a safty issue the bolt is only to be tight when not in use its a written directive from hayman reece aswell as gmh as far as i know im not the engineer im just the installer who reads instructions thoroughly , we explain this regulation to ever customer we fit a tow bar for .

11. RiCeY

RiCeY F O R U M W A R R I O R

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 470rwhp
    I looked it up and youre right.

• When not towing, loosen the lock nut (5), tighten the anti-rattle bolt (6) against the towbar tongue and retighten the lock nut against the towbar.
    • The M10 nut and anti-rattle bolt must be removed when the towbar is in use.

Learn something new every day, though I still dont understand why you have to do it...

12. VTPREDATOR

VTPREDATOR New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS SPORTSWAGON
    lol well that seems kinda pointless. as when im not towing i just remove the dang thing, and if its still in there it dont clunk around... still dont see the difference in having it tightened when towing. so if this is true, explain to me towbars that used the tongue system. its full solid.....

13. Shorty33

Shorty33 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
    I accept what Blasta says, but like Ricey & Predator, it doesn't make any sense to me.
    I've done plenty of towing, but all fairly light loads.
    I had a HR hitch on my VZ, and was happy with it.
    But when I looked around for a towbar for my VE, the solid-type was a lot less expensive, so that's what I've got now.

14. blasta1

blasta1 New Member

Members Ride:
    07 VE
    yeah i know it sounds weird but its just something with heavy duty tow bars and weight distrabution or something like that ive queried it and thats all hayman reece say its to do with the weight carrying of the heavy duty tow bar so for safty i lossen mine when i tow my jetskis and they weigh bugger all , probs 175 kg with trailer . thanks for believing wat i was sayin its good to know people do listen some time . cheers

15. Thumpin

Thumpin Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SSV Sportwagon
    My genuine 1600KG towbar has the anti-rattle bolt at the bottom of hitch carrier. With it nipped-up when towing you still get a slight clunk when braking & accelerating but no rattling.
    You can wrap a bit of aluminium tape (100 MPH tape) around the hitch to tighten the fit to stop rattles...

16. pjdm1980

pjdm1980 Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!

Members Ride:
    E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
    Are the tow bars assembly's different from wagon to sedans?

17. blasta1

blasta1 New Member

Members Ride:
    07 VE
    yes they are different from sedan to wagon .