Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wagon genuine towbar

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
have the genuine towbar on the wagon. when connected, its loose and can wobble around back and forth inside the hitch etc. when trailer is attached, it is becoming unbearable when driving. clang clunk clang. anyone know of a fix to hold the towball hitch thingy firmly in the towbar? on my old vy there was a hole tapped into one corner of the square with a bolt. but i dont really want to do that. sorry if you dont understand my dribble. makes sense in my head. lol

cheers,

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
That doesnt sound right mate. I've towed many times with my wagon and the hitch is nice and firm. You sure they've given you the correct size ball attachment to put in? Sounds like it's too small if its so loose that it rattles about.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
thanx guys, definately not the towball. vicarious that is the bolt im talking about from my vy. think i may just drill a hole and tap a thread into it....

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
sorry dude, i didnt mean the towball itself... i was referring to the neck it attaches to.
if that neck doesnt have the correct sizing for the mounting hole you put it in, it would cause the noises you describe.

EraserHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 - Alto Grey
I have the genuine Holden 2100kg towbar and it has a bolt underneath it that you simply tighten up to stop the rattle... check to see if the hole is there - maybe the bolt fell out??

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
all good fellas. i feel soooo GUMBY right now.. hahaha. walked out to the carport this morning and looked straight at the ass end of the car, and spotted the bolt underneath! cant believe i never saw it hitching up trailers. thanx everyone.

blasta1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
im hate to tell you fellas this but that bolt that ya gunna tighten to stop the tow hitch from rattling is only to be tightened when you are not towing anything , its not there to stop the hitch moving when you are towing its only there for when arnt towing the hitch is supposed to have movement when towing , this can vary from tow bar to tow bar quite dramatically some are a firm fit some seem quite loose , we supply and fit hayman reece tow bars at work and no two are the same with how tight the hitch fits into the tow bar , so for safty sake dont tighten the rattle bolt when towing as the hitch needs to be able to move freely in the tow bar . hope this makes sense its all about the weight carring ability of the heavy duty tow bar . cheers .

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I cant see why it would have to be able to move around when the trailer is free to pivot on the towball. What happens in the case of a solid towbar that offers no movement?

blasta1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
the difference is the weight carring ability of the tow bar if you work for holden look it up im not shittin any one its just a safty issue the bolt is only to be tight when not in use its a written directive from hayman reece aswell as gmh as far as i know im not the engineer im just the installer who reads instructions thoroughly , we explain this regulation to ever customer we fit a tow bar for .