Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wagon roof rattle driving me insane

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX SS, 1999 VT Berlina, 2000 VX Calais Super6
Loving having my VT wagon running again, but the roof rattles with bass in music.

The noise comes from between the two back handles on the roof trim in the back seat.

And it's not like I have about stereo or anything, just the factory unit

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It could be wiring for door lights?
Wiring looms have the loom hot glued to the head lining. Ultimately, you won’t sort the issue until you drop the headlining to inspect it.

Good chance to insulate it a bit with some sound deading foam glued to the lining.

VTVE Wagon Benny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon Berlina S2 Ve SV6 Wagon S2
Does your wagon have a sunroof?
I've replaced all my headlining and at the start, taking all the trims off is fairly simple..
With a wagon without a sunroof, it's one big piece of headlining board which can be easily dropped down enough to find out what the noise is.
With a sunroof, it's cut down from the back seat and only a small board. If you haven't done it already ( seeing how this post was back in 2019, then you've done well to put up with it.. These older cars aren't too much rocket science to work out. Have a crack, fix it yourself.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just had a realisation that a VT is an old car and I’m not comfortable with it.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Headlining off and look.

VTVE Wagon Benny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon Berlina S2 Ve SV6 Wagon S2
I just had a realisation that a VT is an old car and I’m not comfortable with it.
I have a 1976 TX Gemini in the shed, now THAT's old.. But I know what your saying. My VT wagon is a 99.. Only needed to replace the radiator, CAS and tie rod ends really. Otherwise, 385,000 and still going strong. Even my 2012 VE seems old ( in a sense ). Crazy how time flies.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a 1976 TX Gemini in the shed, now THAT's old.. But I know what your saying. My VT wagon is a 99.. Only needed to replace the radiator, CAS and tie rod ends really. Otherwise, 385,000 and still going strong. Even my 2012 VE seems old ( in a sense ). Crazy how time flies.
Stop it!!!
Even now I don’t have the perception that my HX and HZ that I had are now as old as they actually are. It’s like their time stood still. The VP I had was a ‘93 and it was just off new when I bought it. I also don’t think of it as old. 1993 just doesn’t seem that far back.

This must be what it is sort of like for Dr Who. I’d say there’s a fair chance quite a few of us get this feeling when thinking about our Holdens.
tv-drama.gif