Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wagon Smart Shade

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
Recently picked up a set of genuine smart shades as I have a little one in the back, I cannot for the life of me get the shades to seat properly in the window as it will either shimmy up when I put the window up or pop out whilst putting the window down.

What am I doing wrong, anyone have them installed?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Yes, I had them on my VFII CalaisV wagon, and you're right, they are an absolute nightmare to fit, those little metal clips just don't want to sit right. From memory, it was a matter of spacing them correctly I think. But even then, the shades never sat completely right. Normally genuine accessories fit like a glove, but these are a frigging debacle. Good luck..

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
Yes, I had them on my VFII CalaisV wagon, and you're right, they are an absolute nightmare to fit, those little metal clips just don't want to sit right. From memory, it was a matter of spacing them correctly I think. But even then, the shades never sat completely right. Normally genuine accessories fit like a glove, but these are a frigging debacle. Good luck..
Ah fantastic, from memory were the clips spaced wide or narrow?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah fantastic, from memory were the clips spaced wide or narrow?

I'm pretty sure I had them narrower than the pics on the instructions, but to be honest I'm not 100% sorry mate. From memory there also didn't seem to be enough stability in them to hold the shades properly once they (the clips) were under the window rubber. I do have a strong recollection of fitting them through the windows from the outside of the car if that helps..

On the flip side, I got them in eventually, (even though they didn't sit as tight/flush as I would have liked), and they didn't move for the remaining 12 or so months I had it, so it can be done. Keep us posted :)

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
I have them on my clubsport for the last 18 months, got them in easy. Space the clips around 15-16 inches apart.
I can open and close the windows as well without any issues. Are they genuine holden? I bought some aftermarket ones for my wife's car X-Trail) and they are lying around since then as they require to stick the clips to the trim with 3m tape which I didn't want to do. Genuine's should fit easy.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have them on my clubsport for the last 18 months, got them in easy

Sedan or tourer?

Mine were genuine and it was a prick of a job.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Sedan or tourer?

Mine were genuine and it was a prick of a job.
Sedan, mine were very straightforward honestly, took me a total of 10 mins both sides max.
The clips slip into the rubber lining at the top and clip onto the shades.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wagons must be different, both myself and the OP and two other people I know have had dramas with them.

They are a different shape to the sedan windows which may have something to do with it.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Wagons must be different, both myself and the OP and two other people I know have had dramas with them.

They are a different shape to the sedan windows which may have something to do with it.
Yeah wagons are different shape slightly, that might be the issue.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I had the similar issues with the window visors.

got the genuine ute ones and all spent ages setting it out perfectly, clips would not work at all and possible lodge into the glass so I canned them. 3m tape they give you is plenty.