Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wagon tailgate lock problem

br14nh

Back in the saddle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 wagon 5sp Manual
I have a 2000 VX wagon and the lock on the tailgate doesn't operate smoothly; when opening the tailgate, the button sometimes won't depress, unless I put upward pressure on it, then it's OK. I've had the tailgate apart and re-aligned the lock a little; this improved it but didn't fix it. From what I could see & tell by mucking around with the mechanism, it seems as if the actuator isn't pulling in hard enough - has anyone else had this problem and what did they do to fix it??

Thanks in advance,
Brian

br14nh

Back in the saddle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 wagon 5sp Manual
Oh well, seems as if this isn't too common a problem then, I will just have to try a few things.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Hrm, I am having the same problem but this was the only thread I've been able to find on the subject... I don't suppose anyone else has found a solution for it at some point? PS I know I've committed thread necromancy but it seems more appropriate than opening a new one :p

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Well, I actually found a solution to this problem today.

There are two rubber grommets that act as stoppers on either side of the tailgate, unwind them a bit so they stick out more and as such, they put more outward pressure on the tailgate when it's closed. Completely fixed the problem for me :). I noticed on mine that when unwinding them, a fair portion of the 'thread' appeared weathered, so I'd so they've just been wound in over time due to repeated tailgate closings.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Thanks for this thread. My VY2 Wagon was doing the same thing and getting progressively worse over time. I screwed out those rubber stoppers on the wagon door only maybe half a turn and it instantly solved the problem. I was amazed too, I really didn't expect it to fix things. And would never had thought of it myself. My next step would have been to try and lubricate the mechanisms followed by replacement. So once again a big thankyou from me. I love my VY it's the nicest car I've ever owned and would certainly not consider anything newer as the EcoTec motors are fantastic. Well maybe a Tesla one day if I can ever afford one second hand a decade+ down the track. ;) .-.-.

aKiwiJoker

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Acclaim Wagon
How's your gas struts? Replaced mine (they were dead / at point of being dangerous)

also did the wind out trick on the rubber adjusters & major improvements immediately

way old thread bump, simple things eh

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
My wagon is back to doing the same thing but the rubber boots are now wound out as far as they will go until they are almost falling out.
I also now have a second wagon (Berlina this time) and it's boot lock is problematic too.
To open it you have to insert the key hold it turned or the button doesn't activate the catch.
Any more hints?
.-.-.

01VX-BSpec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore
I had a similar issue with my VX due to jamming to much Sh*t in the back of it
Gave the hinges a slight bashing with the hammer and tightened up the bolts on the actuator
Got it working again fine, still a bit quirky on the opening - sometimes i have to slam it shut, sometimes i have to push inwards to get it going, all the least though - she works again!

cozmocracker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina wagon
My wagon is back to doing the same thing but the rubber boots are now wound out as far as they will go until they are almost falling out.
I also now have a second wagon (Berlina this time) and it's boot lock is problematic too.
To open it you have to insert the key hold it turned or the button doesn't activate the catch.
Any more hints?
.-.-.

vk4akp have you found a solution to the berlina key problem?