Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wait to go Backwards.

1trkmnd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN s s2 and MY12 sv6 ute
Just wondering if anyone else has the problem of waiting a few minutes after you select r on the auto tranmission for it to actually go backwards and if a fluid and filter changer will fix it. The problem only occurs on cold starts(well as cold as it gets in Darwin anyway). its been quite a while since the trannys been flushed.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
You wait min:eek: That doesn't sound to good.
The old VB we had took 2-4 sec to engage reverse but never longer then that, And if in reverse it would shudder and slip if you used to much power.

G

Gooblies

I had this problem too, and it took a while to go in 4th, I had to use 3rd to take off but when its warm its fine. I found that my oil level was Low. The runs up the side of the dipstick made it look high. I still got a new filter and oil to put in yet but its seems to be running fine now so I'll wait and see

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
yep Id say fluid check. Check when warm with motor running for best result.

D.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
shift delay while the oil warms up is a telltale sign your seals have gone south. when they get old, they stiffen up, just like old people's joints (not the other type of stiffening..). as it warms up, the seals soften and start sealing, allowing sufficient pressure buildup to make the shift.

making sure you've got enough oil and it's clean will help but if the seals are gone, it's days are numbered..

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
yes, as part of a transmission rebuild.

that's why a fluid/filter change is the best place to start, it's a lot cheaper and easier. but if the seals are gone, the problem will likely return eventually, if the new fluid even helps at all.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Try this before spending big $$$$$

Go to transmission place and tell them you just want them to do a service which they should replace the filter in there and put new pan gasket and fresh oil and put back together its easy job dont pay no more than $80 as thats the average rate.
Also your kickdown cable could be stuffed, where the throttle body is you can make adjustent its hard to explain but any mechanic can do it in 2 seconds so dont pay for it..

Then go straight to Big W or Kmart and buy NULON transmission treatment and shake it up and then pour whole bottle in.

Now drive the car around taking it easy stopping every 10 mins or so and putting car into every gear 1st,2nd,D N,R and do that a few times and see if it goes into gear quicker,If not then id say your gearbox is nearly dead.

When driving does the car change gears ok?

Hope this helps...

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
reverse solinoid.. that is your problem

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
it's a TH700, there is no reverse solenoid i don't believe.

in any case a delay won't be caused by a solenoid failure. that will be a go-no go proposition.