Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Waking up a 5L

.Holdon.

Reaction score
Members Ride
'01 VU Ute, Manual 5.7
hey,
i have a vt ss 5L and want to wake it up a bit. so far it has a larger CAI and pretty sure a 2.5'' exhaust from the headers back with hotdogs. i'm not looking to to much more than; full exhaust, lumpier cam, roller rockers and a tune at the moment.

i live in darwin atm so dont have the greatest range of performance places to go to.

for now i dont need a V8 supercar spec daily driver but i love the sound of a lumpy v8 just lazily crusing around and then when you put your foot down a bit; love the sound a lumpy cam makes as it works its way into high rev's.

also like the feeling when the engines peak power comes in in med to high revs.

when looking for a cam and a tune that's peak power comes in in med to high revs - what do i ask for? or is that it - i'm after a cam and a tune that will kick in in med to high revs?

also diff gears - should i stick with the stock 3.08's to match the med to high rev idea or would a set of 3.7's help you take off a bit faster but not be as effective in med to high revs like the higher stock gear set?

cheers

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
get gears... if its manual 3.73's will do a great job...

Your still only going to shift once getting to 110kmph... just sooner... and since thats the quickest you can legally go... all good... :p

Lets put it this way...

I had 3.73's in my VX v6... and i could keep up with my mates VP SS manual that had a full exhaust, CAI and a tune plus the engine was in good condition... I could no longer keep us so well once he got gears... he got 3.9's.

Good luck mate

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
hey,
i have a vt ss 5L and want to wake it up a bit. so far it has a larger CAI and pretty sure a 2.5'' exhaust from the headers back with hotdogs. i'm not looking to to much more than; full exhaust, lumpier cam, roller rockers and a tune at the moment.

i live in darwin atm so dont have the greatest range of performance places to go to.

for now i dont need a V8 supercar spec daily driver but i love the sound of a lumpy v8 just lazily crusing around and then when you put your foot down a bit; love the sound a lumpy cam makes as it works its way into high rev's.

also like the feeling when the engines peak power comes in in med to high revs.

when looking for a cam and a tune that's peak power comes in in med to high revs - what do i ask for? or is that it - i'm after a cam and a tune that will kick in in med to high revs?

also diff gears - should i stick with the stock 3.08's to match the med to high rev idea or would a set of 3.7's help you take off a bit faster but not be as effective in med to high revs like the higher stock gear set?

cheers

I know someone with a set of roller rockers nearly brand new :p

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
Your still only going to shift once getting to 110kmph... just sooner... and since thats the quickest you can legally go... all good... :p

130 in NT :p