Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Walkinshaw air dam

salute the ute

DRIVING IS A PASSION
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute Series II Perfect Blue
Hey has anyone installed or made their own air dam. For those who dont know what it is. It's basically a small scoop that is mounted to the front bar on the passanger side. The theory behind it is to force extra cold air up to the air box.

For those who have installed it, has it improved much for you.

Also earlier today I saw a guy that removed his passenger side fog light and had a pod filter that went down right behind it. I thought that was pretty clever idea too.

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
I have put one on it should come with the kit best thing about it that when your traveling your getting air directed to the pod filter better than behind the light.
The only issue with the pod filter down where the fog light is make sure you dont hit a big puddle like my mate did :bomb:

salute the ute

DRIVING IS A PASSION
Reaction score
Members Ride
Im thinking about making my own air dam out of some metal, should work just as good.

Geez that would cause a lot of damage ey. How much did he have to pay for repairs ?

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
The plastic one is just as good make sure you dont go to far down or will scrape like crazy the scoop that comes with the kit is just clearing things now and my car is not lowered so keep that in the back of your mind.
Its a guy a work with i think cost about 2K to fix but was claimed through the flood we had in Melbourne a while back so lucky boy

salute the ute

DRIVING IS A PASSION
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I plan to set it back abit so should scrape to much unless I scrape my front guard which I don't plan on doing.

Oh yeah very lucky ey, did he move it after that ?

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
Yea he did he chopped off the intake pipe (since it is plastic) a bit higher up i think he was saying 30cm since it was fairly low before. If you do a mod on your let me know how you go.
Cheers Eddie

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
I know this is the VE section and this setup was for a VS, just giving some ideas.
I made one for my VS many years ago, worked very well, dropped intake temps considerably and also helped force a bit more air into the system. Unfortunately when I updated my sway bar the intake did not fit any more.
The air intake area is 44cm x 3.5cm =154CM2

DSCF0014.jpg
146297d1343336832-walkinshaw-air-dam-dscf0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg
146298d1343336836-walkinshaw-air-dam-dscf0015.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg
146299d1343336839-walkinshaw-air-dam-dscf0017.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg
146300d1343336843-walkinshaw-air-dam-dscf0018.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg
146301d1343336847-walkinshaw-air-dam-dscf0019.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg
146302d1343336851-walkinshaw-air-dam-dscf0020.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg
146303d1343336854-walkinshaw-air-dam-dscf0022.jpg

salute the ute

DRIVING IS A PASSION
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea he did he chopped off the intake pipe (since it is plastic) a bit higher up i think he was saying 30cm since it was fairly low before. If you do a mod on your let me know how you go.
Cheers Eddie

Thanks for this mate, ill let you know when i do it.

I know this is the VE section and this setup was for a VS, just giving some ideas.
I made one for my VS many years ago, worked very well, dropped intake temps considerably and also helped force a bit more air into the system. Unfortunately when I updated my sway bar the intake did not fit any more.
The air intake area is 44cm x 3.5cm =154CM2

Thats awesome mate took me awhile to figure out what i was looking at but thats great. Except like what was said above with puddles.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
I drove this setup many times through some pretty big rain storms and following trucks and so forth on the highway in heavy rain conditions and never had an issue with water.

At the back of the air dam, there is a small hole to let any water drain. The way the feed came into the air box meant that any water that did get that high would hit the far side of the box and then just exit through the drain hole that I had in the box. With a four inch feed from the dam to the box, the suction would never be high enough to pull the water through. In saying that I would not drive through water that would cover the intake.

The most common thing to find in the air box was cigarette buts. Every time I would go to clean the air filter there would be at least one butt in there.

salute the ute

DRIVING IS A PASSION
Reaction score
Members Ride
That’s good seeing as it’s such a big air dam, does the air lead straight to the air box or just near it, I can’t quite tell.

That’s good then, but that’s pretty disgusting about the butts.

Cheers for the information mate