Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Walkinshaw Power Pack W310 - does it affect Fuel Economy?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Yep but because it's so widely done it's something not many people realise. Probably most cops wouldn't even realise.

So every car with a fatback and tune isn't ADR compliant? I would have thought the cars with aftermarket cams and high flow cats would be more likely be fail an emission test

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Basically any mod that isnt available as an option for the model series renders the car unroadworthy.

Any alterations to the tune are technically illegal. I highly doubt you'd be caught out though unless it has a rough idle, straight through exhaust or is missing the maf.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I guess it's like jaywalking. Most everyone has done it despite it technically being an offence. It's up to the officer on the spot to decide if it's worth it to pursue.
I've had the same cop bust me for speeding two years running. First in my brand new ssv which he went over meticulously to try and find any aftermarket work. The second time I was in my highly modded G6eT and he didn't give it a second glance.
It was a lazy arvo in the Holden and a very busy/profitable morning in the Ford.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Considering Walkinshaw would be the next closet thing to factory, I would have thought a Walkinshaw pack that is sold through Holden dealers would be ADR compliant. I guess the OP should ask the direct question is it compliant.

This is a huge misconception and is a credit to the Walkinshaw marketing department - theyve got a lot of people hook line and sucker. Some people have very little idea about the conditions behind Walkinshaw. Its literally like any other reseller - only with an agreement with some Holden dealerships to push customers their way.

Their warranty is not touched by Holden by any means and Holden wipe their hands of you and tell you to take your tow truck to Walkinshaw. Exactly the same as many other performance shops that offer a guarantee on their work - just with the added bonus of Wankingshaw tax.

To the OP. You can ask for the tune to keep AFM on if you really want it.

Depending where you drive though you wont notice much difference. I noticed about a .5-1L per 100km increase on the Freeway and AFM barely turned on for me in suburban driving anyway.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
I had same parts as Walkinshaw use and a tune, highway economy went up by 1L/100km but urban went up by over 6/100km. Sounded tuff and went very well.

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
buys 6L v8

worries about fuel economy :|

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think this is a misconception as well, Fitting performance parts shouldn't suddenly make a car a gas guzzler, with the correct selection of mods and a quality tune shouldn't suddenly make a car drink a lot more gas, if it does I'd suggest something is wrong.

If I read this right, this package is basically and intake and exhaust with a tune (and a very expensive Walkinshaw sticker/badge), if this makes the car drink more fuel under normal driving conditions I'd be taking it back and asking for a refund.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if anything it should be better on fuel, my stock instant/litres at 100kph was in the 10's then otr/exhaust tune went down to the 7-8's then now with blower/cam it went back to the 10's, its all in the tune if they make it more efficient it will use less fuel if they use a generic tune or dont know how to tune for cruise then it will use same or more fuel