Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Walky wheels 20 and 22 inch

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I know these wheels are very common now but im really liking them :D.
Has anyone purchased the knock off cheaper wheels that are around 1500-1600 for the 20 inch version?
Genuine 20s from walky wheels start at around 2300-2800 delivered but have a lifetime warranty,the cheaper ones have 12 months warranty.
Just wondering if the cheaper ones buckle easy like most knock offs?
cheers

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
May be the cheaper knock off wheels pass some obscure 3rd world standard but I doubt they pass any stringent standards from around the world (EU, US, etc).

So I’d want to be sure they use a decent alloy and that they are drop forged. They have to be strong being that they will have low profile elastic band tyres on them. I’d stick to OEM wheels as they are tested to tougher standards than aftermarket wheels. And being that they tyres will be elastic bands running on our pothole laden roads, you’d want the strength that OEM rims, even the larger diameter rims, provide.
Then there is the issue just how harsh they will be when fitted on your car, particularly the 22” rims (which I think only HSV went that big but not sure)...

Last edited:

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was looking at 20 inch,22 inch wheels look great but ride shocking!
Even the genuine "walky" wheels which have a lifetime warranty arent made by holden but id say with a lifetime warranty they would be very good quality as opposed to 12 months,i suppose im answering my own question here:)
Still like to know of those who have the cheapies.
I like that skaifey video:)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
A lifetime rim warranty does not really have any direct correlation to product strength or longevity, only to piece of mind*. As is, the seller could simply have increased profit margin to cater for the lifetime rim claims which is why they may cost more than equally strong rims from another supplier with a 12month warranty.

But the issue is how do you know without destructive testing, whether a cheaper wheel is indeed any good?

If you want to spend $$$ on sexy very light rims, give Carbon Revolutions a call, just make sure you’re sitting down when discussing price :eek:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Apart from the poor ride, the problem with 22 inch rims is they are noticeably illegal.

The second problem is the VE/VF is designed to take wide 20 inch rims and tyres but with the 22 inch you start to have fouling problems which means you have to fit skinnier tyres and to my eye that looks plain awful.

22 inch and skinny tyres = yuk

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A lifetime rim warranty does not really have any direct correlation to product strength or longevity, only to piece of mind*. As is, the seller could simply have increased profit margin to cater for the lifetime rim claims which is why they may cost more than equally strong rims from another supplier with a 12month warranty.

But the issue is how do you know without destructive testing, whether a cheaper wheel is indeed any good?

If you want to spend $$$ on sexy very light rims, give Carbon Revolutions a call, just make sure you’re sitting down when discussing price :eek:

I run a set of light weight 20 inch rims that have a lifetime warranty and you are correct in saying you pay for that warranty at purchase.

In saying that they are as strong as and have held up better than anything else I've owned.

Still the cost is prohibitive and unless your car really warrants them you are better off with much cheaper alternatives.

I don't see the genuine Walkys as that expensive and would take them over a set of knock offs any day.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... I don't see the genuine Walkys as that expensive and would take them over a set of knock offs any day.
Yes, almost $3k a set of 4 rims is not expensive.

For some reason I assumed $3k each rim and also assumed that they’d be drop forged quality alloys. At 1/4 that price I guess not.

I’d definitely go genuine quality drop forged alloy for 20” rims but they’d cost considerably more. But with some cars and roads, such 20” rims can be like wearing nice dress shoes when bushwalking, over priced and inappropriate for the activity.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
$2300 delivered for 20 x 8.5 and 20 x 9.5 for the rear including new nuts,caps,hub rings,the price is pretty good i guess,ive never paid that much for wheels,definitely wouldnt be forged for that price.
As has been mentioned how do you know if the cheapies are any good without testing them to destruction,hence my question to see if anyone has the cheaper ones and knows if they can handle day to day potholes which is about all they need to handle.
I know the genuine simmons 1 piece fr 20 are not good quality from all the broken ones and bad reviews ive seen,the first copies of those that were released were meant to be of very good quality(mc racing if im not mistaken) and had a very good rep for strength and not buckling.
Guess its luck of the draw with copies.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
22 inch wheels look god awful. Why ruin the car?

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive seen a few ve/f lowered with 22s and i think they look awesome,fill the guards perfectly,they would ride like a pig and are totally illegal though,i try and keep my mods kind of under the radar lol,subtle and not total cop bait!