Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanna move the battery to the boot

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i'm thinking about moving the battery to the boot to create more room under the bonnet and help with weight distribution, whats the best way to run the cables, throught the car or under the car:whistling

what have other people done out there

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
i'd run cables through the car to avoid damage from stuff on the road etc personally. how big is the battery? weight distribution will be so ridiculously minimal its crazy. the extra room under the hood cant hurt but

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
13 plate, 700cca. big battery, i don't like having starting problems. i've had problems with the battery going flat over a period of weeks, got 14 volts at the altenator but the battery slowly looses voltage. so i figured i'd kill 2 bird with one stone and move the battery and rewire to fix the fault. think of fitting a centrifugal supercharger in the future so i need the room under the bonnet.:yeah:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
immortality said:
13 plate, 700cca. big battery, i don't like having starting problems. i've had problems with the battery going flat over a period of weeks, got 14 volts at the altenator but the battery slowly looses voltage. so i figured i'd kill 2 bird with one stone and move the battery and rewire to fix the fault. think of fitting a centrifugal supercharger in the future so i need the room under the bonnet.:yeah:

I dont know how you would tackle the wiring side of things, I would think the cable would be too thick to run on the inside, but i have never tried.

Which car is this for? There would be no point moving the battery for a supercharger on the holden v6's as they all mount on passenger side of the bay, where the coilpacks go.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
:bang:, sorry 308 VH. got a 4 bbl throttle body injection unit on it run by a link ecu. who ever did the original wiring however stuffed it up big time. the wired the +12v signal for the dizzy from the coil +12v supply:bang: and this was done by a supposed proffesional outfit. 1 week after i got the car back the ecu was fried cause of a loose connection at a relay:bang: cost them a packet they had to send out a flatbed to get it :cry: so it was still sh*t when i got it back, lost 4kw cause they stuffed up the ignition map in the ecu. i cut all the wiring out and starting from scratch. anyway thought maybe somebody would have some ideas where/how to route the cables from the boot

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
through the firewall along the skirting next to the doors (down the side you want the battery on) under the back seats if its a sedan and to the battery... there are a few well placed gromets in the firewall that you can use its not hard... i had my amp wired with 4 gauge in around 10 mins in my VH

MontieVHSL/E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 304 (injected)
i did this with my car and ran the cable under the car.. ran them in the same route that the fuel lines took on the other side of the car. i put the cable into conduit and used metal cable brackets to hold it to the body, also where the cable ran through the body into the boot i used silicon to hold it in place so it wouldnt rub. the only prob i think is that i gets rather close to the extractors.. but i have had it in there for about 6 months and no sign that is being affected..
personaly i would think it to be safer to run the cable under the car than through the firewall and under and through everything, you dont want that sucker shorting out.
hope that helps

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
shorting out would be bad yeah under the car may be safer.. depends what you have to attach it to... either way sounds fine to me as long as you take your time and find a safe path for it

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
run the bad boy through the car near the skirting boards or along the tranny tunnel. as for the size of the coble get a current clamp and measure the max currewnt drawn (when starting) and then add say 20-30% on top and choose a cable able to handle that load.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i'm going to be using 50mm2 welding flex cable, it has much finner strands then regular cable and can handle higher currents and it is also double insulated. i think i might try through the car first. whats best for the earth side of things, run it's own cable and earth it on the block or just earth the battery to the chassis and a big chassis to block earth as well?:thumbsup: