Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanted, a temporary small car

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
After a bit of a pounding with my car, I'm thinking of getting a manual LS1, but I've got a year of P's to go..

I'm sick of my car completely and just want to get rid of it. I'm thinking about buying a small 4 cylinder manual car that will be reliable and cheap for a year and selling it at the end..

And on a side note, does anyone know the rough transaction costs in buying and selling a car. Maintenance and stuff won't cost too much with this car, because I could take care of it and probably even fix up a few things with it..

I'm after a car that won't lose its value too much, but be decent.. Any suggestions?

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
If you only want it for a year, get a *gulp* korean car, eg hyundai

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
depends how much you want to spend but honda civics always have good resales like the EK models etc

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I crashed my car and the front needs to be put on a rack and pulled to the side. It's never gonna drive the same again and after driving a manual for a few weeks, driving auto is shitting me up the wall..

And driving a 6, it's like a tease and it's pissing me off..

I'm probably willing to spend upto 5, cuz hopefully I'll get most of it back after a year anyway. So I'm not too bothered..

But yeah, good resale, reliable and manual is all I'm after..

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
I crashed my car and the front needs to be put on a rack and pulled to the side. It's never gonna drive the same again and after driving a manual for a few weeks, driving auto is shitting me up the wall..

And driving a 6, it's like a tease and it's pissing me off..

I'm probably willing to spend upto 5, cuz hopefully I'll get most of it back after a year anyway. So I'm not too bothered..

But yeah, good resale, reliable and manual is all I'm after..

no good man, no good.

but if you just want a small car to get you around for a year that is pretty reliable, grab an old astra or pulsar (mid '80s) for a couple of grand.
drive it till you get your 8.

my 2c

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
If you only want it for a year, get a *gulp* korean car, eg hyundai

Thats what I was going to say. Korean cars pretty temporary.:rofl:

Seriously tho, get a ford laser, nissan pulsar etc and dont spend anymore than you have to, the more you spend the more youll lose in depreciation. My last car cost me $500 plus about $500 for roady costs and lasted 12 months. My current car cost $1200 plus $400 for 4 tyres and $350 rego costs. I hate paying too much for a car, you always lose out in depreciation. I let the other suckers pay the big money for me.:yeah:

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
I know it sounds funny, but ive always had sigmas for my everydayer and i love em. Easy to fix, parts everywhere, everybody knows them. As for loosing value, you cant loose too much from buying a $500 sigma!:p

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
is there any car auctions there?.... try ebay... i seen 3 other websites with private car sales on them.... i just bought this 1990 Mazda 121 ( Ford Festiva )... I got a suprise to see so much engine room under the bonnet.... lot more than wife's 1993 Barina ( Suzuki Swift )... I think just look for a car every way possable in advertising... I'm sure you should find a bargain...