Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanting to paint Omega badge

inf3kted

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
How much do these bonnet protectors go for :S

ssv 08 ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss-v 2008 ute
leaving the bonnet 'protector' on will just induce more scratches. They are a horrible invention! You'd be better off losing it and having the scratches repaired.

Just wondering how you came up with that statement ?
Stones etc get flung up and hit the protector...they then get diverted higher up and usually hit windscreen or miss completetly.
Most insurance companies give you 1 free windscreen a year but wont give you a free bonnet respray.

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
ssv 08 ute, The bonnet protectors damage the hell out of the paint where they are mounted. As stated above, ridiculous invention... Buy a Car Bra if your that worried about stones.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Just wondering how you came up with that statement ?
Stones etc get flung up and hit the protector...they then get diverted higher up and usually hit windscreen or miss completetly.
Most insurance companies give you 1 free windscreen a year but wont give you a free bonnet respray.

I was referring to scratches specifically - not stone chips. That style of bonnet protector acts as a junk catcher - ie holds onto leaves, sticks, dirt and grime, which works like sand paper on your paint as it gets buffeted around. Even the mounting points will damage the paint. If the issue is stone chips, then a car bra (for long journeys) is better or the adhesive protectors that are fixed directly to the paint, not allowing anything to be caught in between the guard and the paintwork. I've seen those old-fashioned plastic guards cause too much damage to make them any benefit at all.

I don't put anything on the front of my car. I look after the paint through regular and thorough detailing - I see stone chips as unfortunate and unavoidable. When they get to a point where I can't stand the sight of it, I'll respray (or sell the car).

ssv 08 ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss-v 2008 ute
Thanks... was wondering what you were on about.
Ive had 1 on mine for 6 months now and like you im pretty fussy with the paint.
I put extra protection under all the clips...have had it off a dozen time to check..(all sweet)

As for stuff getting under the front....i guess its a trade off
Havnt had any probs there but if at the end of the day it saves me a few stone chips ill take it.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The big thing is that most people don't monitor it (particularly people who park it outside) and **** just builds up and up and totally ruins the paint. They're also a bastard to clean under if you don't want to keep taking it off each time. I noticed that VW put on a protective plastic adhesive to protect the paint under their bonnet protectors - problem is that the adhesive is so strong, it tends to take paint with it when you pull them off.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
There is a protective film you can get that is moulded to the shape of your car and is literally stuck down. A lot of high-end euro cars have it applied over the whole car - but most owners of those cars want it removed as it does take away from the look of the car (think contact covered school books). But the ones you'd buy for a commodore have headlight film, front bar film and a bonnet strip that reaches around 7 inches or so back from the front of the car - doesn't look too bad and apparently works quite well.

link
Duco Scratch Online Store: