Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanting to paint Omega badge

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
lol @ number plate frame. I have to admit I had them on my Calais from my Holden dealership until I was on an outback hwy and I hit what looked like a dove. One of those Grey ones with the little mow hawk looking thing on top. I went back to try and find it, to either help it or put it out of its misery, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

For what ever reaon, this dove was not on the road, it was like it just flew down into my plate, outta no where. LOL Maybe it didnt like Plate frames and was attacking mine.

Im a real animal lover, and my fav animal is birds. Normally I will Jam on the brakes if a bird gets too close. I'm sick of seeing all the dead ones on the sides of roads because ppl just assume they will move. During Autumn Birds are mostly trying to find their mates, so they have other things on their mind besides Safety from cars, and they cant perceive speed the same way we can. They also cant percieve mass and death the way we can. Then in spring (magpies especially are nest building and gathering extra food for young ones, and unfortunately Magpies fly at bumper height. All year rounf though you can see small insect eating birds chasing insects almost like an aerial dog fight. The last thing on their minds is cars. I know some neanderthalls think its cool to kill small animals, I think its cool not to. Then on top of that (particularly in cereal growing country) along hwy's you get birds that eat grains like rosellas, parrots and cockatoos congregating eating grains that have spilled from trucks. They aint thinking about cars much either. The point I am trying to make is that there is a bit of an urban myth around that birds wiul get out of the way. Its oinly true about 80% of the time. Try and bare in mind that you may not be just killing the bird. It may take days to die, and then if it has young in the nest they will die of starvation, which aint a nice death at all. Plus at 100 to 110 (or more on the race track) Birds can do quite a bit of damage. Like piercing you intercooler, or in my case beinding the **** out of my number plate.

Anyway when I walked back to the car I could see exactly where the bird had hit. It hit my number plate. It bent it back inside the Front spoilers Radiator scoop. When I say bent, I mean it really bent it, with that it snapped the Number plate frame at the top and bottom almost perfectly on the center. Im glad though I had been meaning to get rid of them for ages, but have always had other things to do to the car.

I am always checking out Dealer stickers and Plate frames to see where people are from. I realise its not guarantee, as those stickers and frames could be several owners old. Personally Id rather ppl not know where I am from he-he. They also can make your car that little more identifiable if you know what I mean.

inf3kted

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
Done : )

Yes, at first i was going to paint the silver chunk and leave the lion chrome but eh impulse made me do lion black

1Eop

1Eoq

1Eot

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
As requested here is the pics from my attempt

Things went alright, i knew it was not going to be a prefect fit

What i firstly had to do was cut the two side connectors off, as it would not fit without it

Now i have the problem of the connectors for the bottom sticking out

I heard the guy in the other fourm say to cut them all off and use something like Epoxy to secure it to the bumbper, this might be my only option, the top connections are all fine

Pictures by alecrocks261 - Photobucket

Enjoy and please help me find a solution to this problem

Is it just sitting forward because of the tabs - or is it completely the wrong shape?

If it was me you're talking about who said to use epoxy, I didn't mean to stick the grille to the bar.. I meant cut off and reuse the tabs and refasten in the appropriate location with epoxy. Not sure if it will be strong enough but I don't imagine they take a lot of beating, more just locating tabs. DO NOT epoxy the grille to the bar.

alecrocks261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Commodore 2006
its just that the locating tabs for my omega grille are to far back, so it would not fit with this SV6/SS grille

I would have to cut new locating tabs holes into the bumper(At least for 2 of the 4), do you think this would work

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
its just that the locating tabs for my omega grille are to far back, so it would not fit with this SV6/SS grille

I would have to cut new locating tabs holes into the bumper(At least for 2 of the 4), do you think this would work

I would be cutting the grille, not the bar. Cheaper to replace a grille if you fk it up.

inf3kted

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
Painted + purchased new lion badge (i had a rear gold chev badge before... because of previous owner :O)

new badge rear cost me 19.45 from Mcgrath parts - still not sure if i should paint or remove the other 2 badges

1Fim

1Fin

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
i believe you should just take them off.. looks much better.. also as Tinsnips said.. is the whole thing sitting wrong or is it just the tabs holding it out?