Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

War stories

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
I like to keep my stories to myself too, not that I have many. Have seen/done some **** I wish I hadn't though.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Reading through this thread reminded me of the story of my wife's grandfather. Born in 1900, he actually landed at Gallipoli and survived the campaign, before being sent home after the Army found out his true age. Somehow, he had managed to produce a fake birth certificate and apparently looked older than 15 at the time.

Then, in 1939, he UNDERSTATED his age and re-enlisted, again to survive the conflict though not sent home this time round. Some blokes never learn - why in hell would you want to go round a second time when you didn't have to? Marriage must have been a bitch.

Between wars, he was the first Australian representative Rugby League player from the St. George Dragons, during the early 1920's. One interesting life, he had.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Reading through this thread reminded me of the story of my wife's grandfather. Born in 1900, he actually landed at Gallipoli and survived the campaign, before being sent home after the Army found out his true age. Somehow, he had managed to produce a fake birth certificate and apparently looked older than 15 at the time.

Then, in 1939, he UNDERSTATED his age and re-enlisted, again to survive the conflict though not sent home this time round. Some blokes never learn - why in hell would you want to go round a second time when you didn't have to? Marriage must have been a bitch.

Between wars, he was the first Australian representative Rugby League player from the St. George Dragons, during the early 1920's. One interesting life, he had.

For some of us, it was a life, not a job, for others, well you keep those guys in front of you so there is no fear of them shooting you in the back. I guess that's why i enjoyed working with myself and my number 2. I knew I wouldn't be deserted if the **** hit the fan.

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Hey buddy, just so you know, Gallipoli (dardanelles) went from April 25 1915 to Jan/Feb 1916. Just thought I'd let you know in case you weren't sure :)

yea i figured that out when i looked up his miltary records on the adf website (16 pages of original documentaion- pretty cool), he served in france firstly as a private then in 1917 went on to be a weapons tranporter (driver), he got sick with influenza alot and he discharged on his own accord in 1919, i found another website which stated he was a volunteer of some sort for the adf from 1942- 1945. i was thinking of maybe gettin the clip for his hat fixed so the one half of the brim can be held to the middle and gettin a aif badge for it as well to make it fully intact

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My Grandad was a Sea Captain in the merchant navy, working around Borneo during the early stages of WWII. The Japs invaded and took Borneo in 1941 and captured him and his ship. The poor bloke then spent more than 3 years in POW camps until they were freed by the Diggers at the end of the war. Loads of the POW's died in those camps in Borneo so he must have been strong or very lucky.
I have recently found some excellent stories on the net using google written by some Aussi women and a little boy he saved from Borneo by shipping them out in the days before the Japs invaded. One story was written about 60 years later when! I can only imagine what it meant to the poeple involved to be still telling the story after 60 years.
Unfortunately i never got to meet him as he died well before i was born - combination of poor health thanks to the years of starvation and alcohol as someone else mentioned.
Somehow i suspect he never liked Japs after that experience either !