Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Warm up the beast first !

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I just wanted to share some data I logged from my VFII LS3 to illustrate why we shouldn't use the temperature gauge on the cluster as a "Ready to Chop Some Fords" indicator.

TempLog.JPG

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i always warm up a little then drive as normal till actual oil temps get to around 90c then whole drive line should be warmed up also so ur good to go

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I have oil temp gauges in some of my cars and it usually takes close to 10 minutes for them to reach operating temperature which is long after the water temp.

The oil temp gauges in the Euros keep flashing until they reach safe operating temperature to warn you not to give the car too many revs.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
My Maloo has an oil temp gauge, usually takes about 20 minutes of driving to get to normal temp.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
My old BMW (e90 335i) had an oil temperature gauge instead of a water one and it usually takes over 10 minutes just for it to move from the lowest point (70 deg C) and about 15 minutes for it to reach it's normal temperature of 100 to 110 deg C.

I notice that the water temperature gauge on the VF goes up very fast even for coolant, usually be at the normal point (1 mark under 1/2) with like 1 to 2 minutes? My old skyline would take like 5 minutes before the coolant gauge moved to normal position...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Are those intake air temps normal for a n/a car?
Or is this a blown+intercooled LS3?
I've really only ever seen logs from my turbo (intercooled) car & didn't expect to see similar intake temps for an n/a car.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
I notice that the water temperature gauge on the VF goes up very fast even for coolant, usually be at the normal point (1 mark under 1/2) with like 1 to 2 minutes? My old skyline would take like 5 minutes before the coolant gauge moved to normal position...

I haven't looked how the coolant travels on the VF, but on my Fiesta ST, it actually has a bypass valves in addition to the thermostat where "
the coolant flow through the engine is specifically restricted or stagnated in the warm-up phase. This restriction of the coolant flow makes it possible for the engine components to warm up faster. The result is a significant reduction in the emissions of harmful pollutants and an improvement in fuel economy (i.e. reduced friction) during the warm-up phase. Both solenoid valves are controlled by the PCM.", hence very quick operating coolant temps.

Oh, and the "normal" range is something like 50 degrees C wide too. Anyone know what values the VF temp gauge range is?

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Are those intake air temps normal for a n/a car?
Or is this a blown+intercooled LS3?
I've really only ever seen logs from my turbo (intercooled) car & didn't expect to see similar intake temps for an n/a car.

depends on the driving conditions and intake.
I log mine with and it has an OTR.
Freeway/urban cruising will see my intake temps maybe 5-6 degrees above outside temp.
WOT will see it drop to ambient temp within a few seconds.

Heavy traffic driving, I can see my intake temps 20 degrees above outside temps.
Again WOT will drop it down pretty quickly.

Not sure how the standard intake goes though.
Probably not as hot in certain scenarios as the MAF is near the airbox (OTR above radiator( but doubt it would cool down as quick at WOT.

Original post.
I find the same log as you. But i'm dealing with <5 degree temps at times and it takes a lot longer to heat up the oils.
I don't bury the foot until I see it up above 80 degrees personally.