Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Warning For Removing Outside Door Trim!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Well i've been using eucalyptus oil and a paint scraper to remove the outside door trim on my car... I got the top part loose easy but then the bottom section I couldnt get loose... So I took a friends advice and just pulled it off... Unfortunately its taken some of the paint with it!
So a warning to anyone with a Berlina or Calais or even SS that wants to remove their thick outside door trim... Dont just rip it off because you'll end up with some paint missing.... and a sore hand from throwing a tantrum and repeatedly punching the wall :bang:

Luckily I learnt my lesson and used a stanley knife carefully to seperate the sikaflex from the door trim at the bottom for the other door on the passenger side... so its just 1 door that has paint missing... Touch up paint here I come...

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I was just thinking... Should I repaint the entire door? Because the touch up will be slightly visible wont it?

Last edited:

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
that sucks!! easy does it with the touch up, if you want it to look good, sand it down, then apply some primer, then do a couple of very light coats to build it up to the colour, then it should come out alright

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Shoulda heated the sikaflex with a heat gun or hair dryer, an edged her off gently.... What i used to do at work all the time.

Cheers
MaT

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoZy said:
Shoulda heated the sikaflex with a heat gun or hair dryer, an edged her off gently.... What i used to do at work all the time.

Cheers
MaT

Yeah thats the plan for the drivers side and whats left of the sikaflex on the passenger side... I HATE sikaflex... the stuff is ridiculously hard to remove. The small skinny strip that was on the guards came off so damn easy.. But the thick Berlina/Calais/SS style stuff... argh

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
whats wrong with some old fishing line so cut the trough the sixaflex??

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
Yeah I had sommik simmular happen but nearly took half the friggen door off as it was rusted through, so I ripped the rest off filled in the gap rust treated it bogged it up and now it's nearly done.
But yeah they are a real bastard to get off.

Attachments

• tn_Apr12105.JPG
    tn_Apr12105.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 792

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
biteme1978 said:
Yeah I had sommik simmular happen but nearly took half the friggen door off as it was rusted through, so I ripped the rest off filled in the gap rust treated it bogged it up and now it's nearly done.
But yeah they are a real bastard to get off.

...ouch! Atleast its nearly fixed. I think my passenger side will have to stick with the missing paint for a month or so until I can get around to fixing it because uni's starting up again on Monday :bang:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just a tip for removing the trim... Just boil a kettle ad pour the boiling water over the door trim... It loosens it up really well and a paint scraper will then easily push through the top half, then just slowly pull the bottom half off!

R Photon

I Like Bresciani Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore
this has happened to me twice with the door trim and rear badges....even though i did everything properly...used a hair dryer and used dental floss

gonna cost me a fair bit to get it painted again...so i am just gonna use touch up paint for now..would i just be able to go to holden and ask for touch up paint or would it be best to go to a smash repairs place?