Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WARNING LS3 Recall about to happen

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
As best I can tell, apart from this current issue, the rocker arm has been solid for many years. However, changing to a higher lift cam would mean a change in better rockers would be advisable. Having said that, I have read some horror stories of people picking bits of rocker needle bearing out of the sump even with quality aftermarket stuff.
Yeah the pressed steel is fine with stock setup except the needle bearings falling out. Way I see it is like having heavy daggy pressed steel wheels and when given the opportunity for lightweight better design mounted on shafts that don't lose their bearing makes sense.
IMG_0898 (1).jpg

But you know with the cover off and springs exposed, titanium retainers and nitrided up spec beehives would be a temptation... ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Very tidy Monstar. Very exxy but monies well spent no doubt.

Isn't it common to keep the stock rockers but upgrade the bearings?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Very tidy Monstar. Very exxy but monies well spent no doubt.
Isn't it common to keep the stock rockers but upgrade the bearings?
Well when the main fear is loosing your balls... er I mean needle bearings, the cheap steel things with trunion mod or bush upgrade is the least you can do.
Dudes waste $1000-$2000 on stoopid stuff like protecting the clear coat or super expensive tyres but if you are going to remove, modify, swap and refit at some point down the track you may as well consider shaft rockers like these with 50% less nose weight of other shaft roller rocker offerings.
More speed, less mass, less noise, better lubrication, less friction.
These are the strongest aluminium rocker arms in the world with deflection and bend tests proving their aircraft grade extruded aluminium arms superior to rival aluminium and stainless steel arms. They are the ultimate rocker arm for use in high revving street engines and most race applications. Premium quality extruded aluminium roller rockers have never let a competitor down at high speed proving grounds (like Calder Park Thunderdome), where Holden and Ford Auscars required to run roller rockers having battled in racing at an average speed of over 200km for an estimated 100,000 laps. The rockers ran for over 170,000 km at between 5000-6500 rpm.
This set has done 320k km and crack tested fine. If you look closely you see the stamp 1.85 which is higher than stock 1.7 ratio, reason being I use a cam with larger than stock base circle (BCR) for valve train longevity, leveraging main lift at rockers. Just like the LS7, and the new Gen V engines do.
This also gives the cam more time/area duration which works out one crank degree for every 0.5:1 ratio increase, so easy 0.030" lift and +3º equivalent.

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i have a set of 1.8 YT rockers i was using and if they were 1.7 with my cam id still be using them, good rocker and so annoyed i just have em sitting here doing nothing

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
Has anyone thought about swapping out the stock shocking rockers to a better engineered high performance set?
Just that it seems prudent, totally recommend it, and I think it qualifies as one of those functionally equivalent replacement parts covered under the Consumer Guarantee.

Yes I have, I looked at Jesel (like I use on the race car) and YT and promptly found out that putting them on will reduce HP due to the weight of the rocker arms.

On an all out motor designed for big RPM with big spring pressures they ok, but on a standard engine or one mildly modified I keep seeing the std rockers are the best. And this is talking to some very well known LS engine builders.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yes I have, I looked at Jesel (like I use on the race car) and YT and promptly found out that putting them on will reduce HP due to the weight of the rocker arms.

On an all out motor designed for big RPM with big spring pressures they ok, but on a standard engine or one mildly modified I keep seeing the std rockers are the best. And this is talking to some very well known LS engine builders.
Well the stock shocking steel rocker with friction tip is 8.2 grams and the ultralite roller tip I have as shown above is 7.8 grams.
The max spring pressure is 400 pounds, which is fine, you know for street legal sub nitrous sort of stuff!
The engine builder who recommended these services more than a dozen LS3 engines to race spec every couple of weeks.
Like I said, more speed, better lubrication, stronger, safer, less friction, less noise.
At least do the springs and pushrods at same time mate, you know you want to!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I should say for the benefit of most people who didn’t know what a rocker arm was before this recall, that switching up to a lighter roller rocker arm vs stock will give you minimum 20 horsepower, cooler running and less fuel consumption from the frictional benefit alone with stock tune. Greater potential to support tuning.
There are no downsides just a great opportunity if you want a set-and-forget way to ensure operational longevity and add efficiency.
Versus money spent on headers and exhaust or CAI, swapping rockers enables a genuine bolt-on power increase to the stock tune.
Apart from changing to flex fuel, the next simplest way to add significant volumetric flow is to up-spec the rocker arms to increase valve lift. To accomodate the change you need better valve springs and shorter pushrods (shot peened, nitrided beehives and chromemoly rods are best).
This uprated upper valvetrain works with the LS3 cam and hollow intake valve to safely increase the rpm, so with literally dropping in springs and rods with the rocker swap you will see minimum 25 kw, possibly much more with FBO and a tune.
All reversible, personally recommend after 200,000 miles with this simple upgrade.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Having the rockers replaced today, just wondering if the engine oil is replaced during the work. Car has done 5700km mostly country driving and just wondering if it would be wise to have the oil changed while being serviced.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Having the rockers replaced today, just wondering if the engine oil is replaced during the work. Car has done 5700km mostly country driving and just wondering if it would be wise to have the oil changed while being serviced.
I doubt it. I would give them the oil and get them to change the filter too.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Thanks Cuda for the prompt reply