Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WARNING LS3 Recall about to happen

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
I had this confirmed today by my dealer, I’ve nearly ticked over 2k in my director with 407 with no problems

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
Whoa! 4,500 sets of intake rockers to change?
Hope the manufacturer has ramped up production, and fixed their quality control issues...

This might take awhile...

Actually, I was told 60,000 engines worldwide, but 'only' 4,500 LS3 during that period. They're a cast steel rocker arm. They would be able to pump them out in the thousands very quickly and most likely out of multi cavity tooling.

Thanks for the heads up GMVPSS. Sounds like mine will be recalled. Glad to find out before a failure.
Hopefully they'll go to a more reliable supplier. Sounds like this one has some QC issues.
What are others thoughts on purchasing rollerrockers? I wonder if Holden would contribute to cost and fit them. Doubtful at best I'd imagine. Then there's the warranty issues...

Knowing how the car companies work, the new supplier would have to develop a fix for the problem, prove the fix worked and then provide replacement stock and cover the cost of the replacement labour.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Holden wouldn't contribute to the cost of you choosing to fit rocker covers as they're being reimbursed a set cost for their time by the manufacturer of the parts.

Some dealers would do or arrange the work, particularly those that are happy to sell new cars with aftermarket mods packages.

Personally I'd pay the extra for the roller rockers.

That's where I am at now, but $900 for Yella Terra, or the Jesels that I want are $2000 and both need taller rocker covers adding another $400-500.

Its actually funny (not) but in all the discussions I have had with performance shops prior to buying the car, they have all said the factory rockers are good for 700Hp and don't break. Here we are a week after a buy my new car and about to be recalled for all things.... Rocker Arms.

Looks like mine will be in that batch,only has 173ks on it and three weeks old,it goes in for its first month check up next Tues,I see if I can gleen any more info.

Same here. Mine was September build and delivered last Monday. 135km on mine.

Lets hope they can get it sorted quickly.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I had this confirmed today by my dealer, I’ve nearly ticked over 2k in my director with 407 with no problems
Being walkinshaw modded who does the work? Holden or walkinshaw dealer

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Does anyone have any details? Rocker structural failure? Or, bearing failure where all those little rollers get loose?

My Magnum was built mid Sept. Delivered 9th Oct. and has 3800k's so far.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Being walkinshaw modded who does the work? Holden or walkinshaw dealer
The fault is with the gm oem part, so it’s a holden issue. I agree with gmhvpss in that the oem rocker arms are strong as f@&$

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Someone posted a pic of a failed one in another thread a while back. Looked like structural failure in the arm itself. Not bearing related.

dazinau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport
Better fit the roller rockers. And then tune, CAI and exhaust. It's a safety issue. Well. That's what I'll be telling my wife anyway....

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
That's where I am at now, but $900 for Yella Terra, or the Jesels that I want are $2000 and both need taller rocker covers adding another $400-500.

Its actually funny (not) but in all the discussions I have had with performance shops prior to buying the car, they have all said the factory rockers are good for 700Hp and don't break. Here we are a week after a buy my new car and about to be recalled for all things.... Rocker Arms.

Yeah I'm always hearing how strong the OEM rockers on the LS3 are and I don't doubt it but the way a car's RPM responds and breathes better with roller rockers makes them a great addition in my books.

Those Jesel's are always pricey, I have a set on my Cleveland and they were closer to $3k and I doubt if I'd spend that extra money.

But the Yella Terra plus a pair of ProFlow covers for about $250 would be fine by me but I can understand someone saying the OEM's will do a great job for zero dollars.

I'd probably also have the springs changed out while they were there.

Kill as many birds as possible with one stone and get the car ready for when it comes time for a cam swap.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Fitting A/M roller rockers to these engines requires rocker cover spacers or A/M covers, trunnion upgrade is a better alternative.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Hopefully I will be lucky as mine is the 21st MSE to be built back in May. So fingers crossed. Although in following this issue with owners, it seems the majorities whose broke were built in September.