Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WARNING LS3 Recall about to happen

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by GMVPSS, Dec 1, 2017.

1. HighViz

HighViz New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 VF SS Redline
    Yeh i definitely understand what you're saying, and trust me i said the same thing about the cost of any of it!

But as they explained, i would only have to cover the cost if it turned out to be something else (even though we knew what it was)
    Holden needed to see the fault code on their equipment, plus they had to send a request asking to get it fixed out of warranty....either way, it would've had to wait and get booked in yarda yarda!

It does however have to go back during the week because it's too low to get on their wheel aligner, they have to use toyota's aligner i think but apart from that, it all went pretty smoothly after the initial contact!

2. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    That is not the consumer's concern.

The dealer is obliged to correct the problem.

Whether or not Holden agrees to reimburse the dealer is for those parties alone.

3. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Although you are correct, it's also not right. The dealer didn't design or fit a faulty component, Holden did. It's a bit rough that the dealership is wearing the cost and having to battle Holden to get re-imbursed for the repair.

This is exactly why this needs to be a full recall rather than fix on an ad hoc basis. Anything that can compromise the safety of the vehicle should be a mandatory recall.

4. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    As far as ACL is concerned, it is the selling dealer that has the obligation to fix the fault under law. This statuatory warranty obligation is regardless of what and how the manufacturer may try to categories the fault.

The possible confusion for consumers is that they see all dealers in the same light as having an ACL obligation towards their vehicle.... It's only the selling dealer that has this obligation under ACL but ACCC is confusing the issue by also bringing the manufacturer into the picture.

The manufacture will support the vehicle owner via it's dealer network but it's always best to deal with the selling dealer whenever possible since they carry the ACL statuatory warranty obligation (which in my mind is more powerful than the manufacturers warranty).

Is ACL rough for the seller, only is they sell poor quality items that fail prematurely, the moral being not to sell crap.

VS 5.0 likes this.
  5. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Maybe, but that is how the law works.

No diffeent to buying a TV from an electrical goods retailer and claiming consumer rights from them rather than the mnufacturer.

The retailer is forbidden from trying to pass consumers onto the manufacturer.

Skylarking likes this.
  6. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Well then you'd think the dealerships would push the issue back onto Holden for a recall?

7. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Who knows what the franchise agreement allows the dealer to do or not to do... maybe the dealers are unable to publicly criticize the manufacturer and so any internal requests for a recall are thus ignored (likley to the dismay of some employees).

All i can say is that it is good the pendulum has finally swung in the consumers favour :)

Maybe we also need whistle blower laws ;)

VS 5.0 likes this.
  8. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    We definitely need whistle blower laws......maybe the proceedings at the finciacial Services RC while lead to these.

Skylarking likes this.
  9. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yes, according to ACL, a seller can't fob you off to the manufacturer but sadly car dealers break this law all the time.

VS 5.0 likes this.
  10. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    Where would you stand with ACL, if the Holden dealer you bought your car from has closed down? Hypothetical question from me, but there may be some in this situation.

11. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    You go to the manufacturer.

12. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Another Holden dealership

13. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    In a simple sence, @VS 5.0 and @vc commodore are correct.

According to ACCC, the manufacturer still has liability related to the goods being of acceptable quality (and provision of spare parts). As such they still must fix any 'quality' related issues you have. Since no spanner twirling would be done at HHQ in port melbourne, i'd say their dealer network would be involved in any fix. So you'd be covered by ACL if a dealer went belly up.

What stays with the seller is your rights to choose the remedy (such as a full refund) when the product has a major failure under AC. It seems a manufacture isn't explicitly defined as having to provide a remdey of the owners choosing (like a full refund) under ACL. So if a dealer went belly up you may loose some leverage that the ACL provides. However, a purchaser can still recover "damages" from the manufacturer so it may in principle be similar a outcome.

At the end of the day no manufacturer would like to see bad press associated with the quality of their product so they would likely play ball and try to avoid public legal stouches so you may still get the remedy you want. But, in days gone by, the dealers and/or manufacturers would sometimes have owner sign a Non Disclosure Agreement when big problems occured as a condition to remedy the issue but now ACCC's view is that they can't condition a remedy on the owner signing a NDA - so no needs to sign such NDA's any more :p

VS 5.0 likes this.
  14. tommy redline

tommy redline New Member

Members Ride:
    my16 redline
    Sorry for the ignorance but are there any obvious signs the rocker is about to go? My redline makes a tapping noise closer to the driver side. Holden told me this is nornal engine noise because the enhancer sends engine sound into the cabin. However the tapping was not there before my last service. They said they use dexus oil. Anyone else experiencing this sound? Id say tapping but almost a flapping sound when the car is in motion. Nothing loose that i can see.

15. Redline 2017

Redline 2017 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
    Definitely nothing like that out of my March, 17 build Redline, maybe try checking with another dealer? Is your Redline qualify as one that might have the rocker issue?

16. tommy redline

tommy redline New Member

Members Ride:
    my16 redline
    dealer thinks my car was not affected by this recall but the noise is so annoying. does not sound natural.

17. NewbC4KE

NewbC4KE Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
    From reading these forums its common for some LS engines to sound like sewing machines/flapping noise especially if you are driving near objects where the sound can rebound back into your cabin with windows down i.e metal guard rails, brick work under bridges.

Do you have a sound bite?

18. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    When does the noise happen ?

19. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Gotta love (not) the uncertainty in this dealers view. I’d have thought the Holden system would categorically define if a vehicle is impacted by a rocker recall or not, so I’d expect a firm statement from a dealer, not a washy statement like “we think it not affected”.

As to whether your V8 sounds natural, go for a drive and warm up your redline to operating temps and then go to a safe road where you can do a 0-100 run at max revs. If it doesn’t go bang, it’s likely ok. If it goes bang and bits come flying out of the engine, well you had a problem and Holden will fix it for you under warranty :rolleyes: (I’m not serious about you doing this ;))