Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WARNING LS3 Recall about to happen

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
Hi all,

Through my contacts at Walkinshaw in Clayton I found out that Holden are about to do a recall on all LS3 powered vehicles, so I rang the dealer I bought the Redline through and got the whole story.

The dealers received an email yesterday from the CEO putting a hold on the sale of all LS3 powered cars as they have an intake rocker problem from the manufacturer. (I picked mine up on Monday.)

LS3 motors affected were put into Australian cars from July 2017 through to close in October. (Mine was September build.)

Apparently GM changed Rocker Arm manufacturers early in the year and there have been recorded failures of the Intake Rocker Arm breaking. All cars in stock are to have new Rocker Arms fitted before sale.

Stock of replacement Rocker Arms is not supposed to be available until the 18th of December, however my dealer said they expect to have stock next week by around the 5th.

He also said that Holden will be covering the cost of towing the Motorsport, Director and Magnum 'collector cars' to have the Rockers fixed without putting KM on the cars.

I'll be parking mine until it is able to be fixed. Although it might be worth fitting Roller Rockers to it and fixing it properly rather than risk more junk going onto it.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I assume this doesn't apply to LSA engines in cars during that period? Mine has a Holden build date of July 23 and a HSV build date of Oct 28.

Last edited:

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Also assuming cars delivered before July are fine? I have a very early MSE.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Very interesting, so when does this recall go public?

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
I assume this doesn't apply to LSA engines in cars during that period? Mine has a Holden build date of July 23 and a HSV build date of Oct 28.

From what I heard today only LS3. But don't quote me.

Also assuming cars delivered before July are fine? I have a very early MSE.

That's what I am told due to the timing of the new manufacturer in the USA.

Not sure. Was only issued to dealers yesterday and I found out today through my contact at WAG who knew I bought a new car.

I was told if it is going to happen it will happen straight away. I have done 135km in mine and will park it now.

The dealer I spoke to knows of one of his customers that has broken a rocker and there are 4,500 LS3's that are going to have the rockers replaced under warranty.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The dealer I spoke to knows of one of his customers that has broken a rocker and there are 4,500 LS3's that are going to have the rockers replaced under warranty.

Whoa! 4,500 sets of intake rockers to change?
Hope the manufacturer has ramped up production, and fixed their quality control issues...

This might take awhile...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Thanks for the heads up GMVPSS. Sounds like mine will be recalled. Glad to find out before a failure.
Hopefully they'll go to a more reliable supplier. Sounds like this one has some QC issues.
What are others thoughts on purchasing roller rockers? I wonder if Holden would contribute to cost and fit them? Doubtful at best I'd imagine. Then there's the warranty issues...

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Thanks for the heads up GMVPSS. Sounds like mine will be recalled. Glad to find out before a failure.
Hopefully they'll go to a more reliable supplier. Sounds like this one has some QC issues.
What are others thoughts on purchasing rollerrockers? I wonder if Holden would contribute to cost and fit them. Doubtful at best I'd imagine. Then there's the warranty issues...

Some dealers would do or arrange the work, particularly those that are happy to sell new cars with aftermarket mods packages.

Personally I'd pay the extra for the roller rockers.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
Looks like mine will be in that batch,only has 173ks on it and three weeks old,it goes in for its first month check up next Tues,I see if I can gleen any more info.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

doubt it will be called... a recall

techline service bulletin with product rectification... more likely, as there is no safety issue with this