Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Warning!!! TOOOO hot.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Hi all just thought I'd share this with you, today my supervisor was driving his VZ Crewman around town when the temp gauge shot up into the red and the thermometer emblem came up, music playing etc. He pulled over and lifted the bonnet, didn't seem hot, loosened radiator cap then removed it, all seemed fine. So he drove round the corner to Holden and the bloke came out, checked the overflow reservoir, radiator didn't feel too hot so he loosened the cap as my supervisor had done and removed the cap-nothing for a few seconds then whoosh!!! boiling coolant all over his face and body. He was taken straight to hospital with severe burns. Apparently the thermostat had stuck, leaving the radiator coolant fairly cool, then when he took off the cap it decided to open, forcing the boiling coolant from the block all over this poor guy. Don't know if he's still in hospital or what but has anyone heard of this happening before?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
lol stupid thing to do when temp gauge is in the red even if radiator is cool. I did this in my wagon i was ok thought because there was no water in the radiator. No wonder it reached operating temp soo quick:)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Doesn't sound like fun but at least it was only water and not something REALLY hot, he should be ok

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
The exactly same thing happened to me I was rushed to hospital with 1st,2nd and 3rd degree burns to my chest ,face and arms
I hate the smell of coolant now and Im very nervous around hot radiators aslo these burns are classed as chemical burns because of the additives
When the boiling water hits you it feels ice cold But the pain starts pretty straight after woods and it could take several days for your skin to flake off and the severity to be seen
The treatment is to cut away the flaking skin with a razor blade and refrigerated cream put on with a paddle pop stick (this is what they done to me) and yes I did squeeze the radiator hose to check the pressure

I have some happy snaps of my burns that I might up load later

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Yeah I've always thought that if the top hose is not under pressure then it's fine to open the cap but maybe not so? I feel for you man, there's no pain like a burn!!!

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Well I wouldn't remove a cap when it's hot either, didn't think you really could. Although i would have thought the holden mechanic would have known???

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
this radiator is too cold, this radiator is too hot, but this radiator is juuuuust right. ARGGHHHHHHHH

And this is why you dont take your car to Holden.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Serves the guy right at Holden i reckon, , regradless of what your temp gauge reads, the engine will be at operating temp meaning their's pressure in the radiator..Who gets out of a car after they've been driving and removes the radiator completely???

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
never ever take that damn cap off lol