Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

**WARNING** VZ V6 Owners

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Have just completed a course on the VY and VZ range of vehicles this evening and arn't we mechanics in for a wow of a time with these 175 and 190kw engines!! The warning from this trade course is of how critical use of the correct grade of engine oil and change interval is in keeping these vehicles running consistently at their very best. Some problems already encountered is the gumming up of the variable valve timing solenoids that work on oil pressure due to sludge build up due to incorrect grades and changing of oil. Do not let the oil go past the 15,000klm intervals or expensive damage will result over a period of time!! They stressed this in the course over and over. :hit:

Another key factor brought up was in not removing any of the computer sensors without removing the battery terminals as the sensors continue to have power running through them even though the ignition key may be in the off position.By connecting and reconnecting could create a surge therefore destroying some other components, possibly computers etc.

Some other interesting facts are that no codes can be retrieved without the use of a scan tool in VY and VZ models.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
if you care for your car then the oil should be changed every 5 thousand k's anyway....at work we recommend that the customers come back every 5 thousand for an oil change and they never complain cos it saves them in the long run.........

the allotec's are running a synthetic oil now so how come theres a sludge buildup???

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
boona15 said:
if you care for your car then the oil should be changed every 5 thousand k's anyway....at work we recommend that the customers come back every 5 thousand for an oil change and they never complain cos it saves them in the long run.........

the allotec's are running a synthetic oil now so how come theres a sludge buildup???

Cause we have been told that some owners think they know better and instead of buying the good oil as specified in the owners manual with the correct API rating and viscosity they have been trying to save themselves money and skimp on the quality, by buying cheap non correct oil. They use this oil not realising the damage being done until its too late. Then they whinge about the crap Holden product not realising they caused the problem themselves!!

V

VZSV6

thats interesting, cause if you use any oil other than mobil 1 synthethic and you oil blows it will not be covered under warranty. and for the sludge it wouldnt be a problem if using synthetic grade oils.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
VZSV6 said:
thats interesting, cause if you use any oil other than mobil 1 synthethic and you oil blows it will not be covered under warranty. and for the sludge it wouldnt be a problem if using synthetic grade oils.

Metro Holden in Adelaide say they use a 10 40 Castrol oil, Im hoping this is the right stuff.....

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
Well I change my own oil and I buy it from my Holden Dealer which has the Holden Logo on it 10w-30 GF3 which is what is recommended and I don't bother going around looking for other brands 10-50 etc. because I only get confused .
Stick with Holden brand and you can't go wrong.

V

VZSV6

Ronaldw said:
Well I change my own oil and I buy it from my Holden Dealer which has the Holden Logo on it 10w-30 GF3 which is what is recommended and I don't bother going around looking for other brands 10-50 etc. because I only get confused .
Stick with Holden brand and you can't go wrong.
i have heard of some dealerships using other brands, but would you prefer the oil they designed the engine with.

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
VZSV6 said:

I'm sorry, thats BS.

Numerous dealers up here in Sydney use Castrol FMX Full Synth, and I know from speaking to Holden, they recommend the use of any of the following oils

Castrol FMX
Mobil 1
ELF Excellium GP

They did however say not to use Penrite/Shell..not sure why.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
ScottB_33 said:
Some problems already encountered is the gumming up of the variable valve timing solenoids that work on oil pressure due to sludge build up due to incorrect grades and changing of oil. Do not let the oil go past the 15,000klm intervals or expensive damage will result over a period of time!! They stressed this in the course over and over. :hit:

i find it interesting that they say things like this yet its holden who set the oil change intervals at 15,000km's compared to the old 10,000km's!!

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
If you read in the owners manual, the intermediate services between ie;7500km,
the conditions that might make you want to change your oil in between the 15k intervals, i think just about every vz fits into those conditions,
City driving
Highway driving