Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

warped rotors?? I doubt it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Interestingly, all the info required to change a wheel including the proper method/sequence to tighten wheel nuts is covered in the owners manual (section 6 - Emergencies). :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The correct method is to tighten the nuts in a star pattern. Any shop that only uses a rattle gun doesn't deserve your business, go elsewhere. Torque to 120 Nm.

Exactly....What should occur is the nuts are done up with a rattle gun, until the wheel nut touches the wheel surface if a torque bar isn't used.....Then most tyre shops that don't use a torque bar use a torque wrench to complete the process. The wheel should be sitting flush with the rotor surface, when this process is started.

If a torque bar is used, the wheel should be sitting flush with the rotor and the wheel nuts are done up again, until they mate with the wheel surface....you then proceed to go around the wheel nuts again, making sure they are done up correctly

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah man pet peeve whenm they rattle gun wheel nuts so tight feels like you'll have hernia getting them loose you do breaker bar & pipe method.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Interestingly, all the info required to change a wheel including the proper method/sequence to tighten wheel nuts is covered in the owners manual (section 6 - Emergencies). :)

Ha Ha, do you really thing a VX Wagon POS, OP's description not mine, came with owners manual ?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Unknown, but he said he's had 3, surely one must have had the owners manual with it? It's not like this info isn't out there and the manufacturer certainly wants you to know it.

bullpeters

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx wagon POS
OP is eating breakfast and laughing. I dont think i ever read the manual to anything. Maybe if my wife came with one :) I also had a car yard and 54 years on this earth and i swear i never seen a torque wrench at a tire shop.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What is it with missing owner manuals???? Mine is damn VS manual which is useless to a VR owner. Surely they are not worth much that people need to sell them???

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is the kind of info that is passed from father to son. First thing I taught my boy when he bought his car was how to change a tyre correctly.

Torque wrenches can be had reasonably cheap these days, if you do any kind of mechanical work it'll pay for itself reasonably quickly. I bought a quality Warren & Brown torque wrench about 18 years ago, wasn't cheap but I still use it to this day.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Does it pull at all when you brake? Worn radius rod bushes are pretty common to cause issues like this, but sometimes you can only see if there's an issue when it's driving (kinda hard unless you have a GoPro or something).

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Firstly tyre shops DO have torque sockets to suit the different cars, or they should have, and if they don't have, or they don't use them, then you tell them you won't be back and why you won't be back.

I am not referring to torque wrenches, I am talking about the colour coded torque socket drives which go onto the rattle guns which I have seen in use in the only 3 tyre shops I have used.
I don't know what they are called but they are approx 100-150 long and coloured to suit different torques.