Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

warped rotors?? I doubt it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think he means these things....
images

edit: Having the right tool is one thing, knowing how to use it competently is a completely different story.....

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I also had a car yard and 54 years on this earth and i swear i never seen a torque wrench at a tire shop.

The last tyre shop I was at for a puncture repair used a torque wrench to tighten the nuts. They even had a second guy check they were right after the first guy tightened them.

What is it with missing owner manuals???? Mine is damn VS manual which is useless to a VR owner. Surely they are not worth much that people need to sell them???

Most people don't care about such things. Lose them, misplaced by the workshop and son on. Some of us on the other hand.....

MSvMWiF.jpg

Owners manual and 19 yrs of receipts from when I sold my VS last year.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I am not referring to torque wrenches, I am talking about the colour coded torque socket drives which go onto the rattle guns which I have seen in use in the only 3 tyre shops I have used.
I don't know what they are called but they are approx 100-150 long and coloured to suit different torques.

Definately called torque bars.....They are 1/2" drive and go between the rattle gun and the socket....They're designed to prevent the wheel nuts going past a specified torque, when the rattle gun is applied

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think he means these things....
images

edit: Having the right tool is one thing, knowing how to use it competently is a completely different story.....

These are designed for the idiot.....They're not surposed to go beyond the specified torque of the bar, no matter how much you hammer the rattle gun. Personally I have never double checked the torque of a wheel nut with a tension wrench after using these, so I can't say for sure, they are spot on

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So what happens when the rattle gun gets up to torque?
Do these things have a clutch in them or what

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
These are designed for the idiot.....They're not surposed to go beyond the specified torque of the bar, no matter how much you hammer the rattle gun. Personally I have never double checked the torque of a wheel nut with a tension wrench after using these, so I can't say for sure, they are spot on

Don't know, never used them but it's got me intrigued as to how well they do work. I've always used my trusty torque wrench.

A rattle gun is such a abrupt piece of equipment and it is also very dependent on airflow/pressure, change either and it changes the torque delivered.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The rattle fun works on impact these twist with the impacts once at torque and stop the nuts going any further called torque sticks very accurate when used with the correct size guns but you need special ones for electric impact guns

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

The 3 tyre shops I have used all had them and used them.
At home I use my rattle gun and have never snapped a stud, and never had trouble undoing a nut with the standard + wheel brace.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The 3 tyre shops I have used all had them and used them.
At home I use my rattle gun and have never snapped a stud, and never had trouble undoing a nut with the standard + wheel brace.

I've used these torque bars a tension wrench and a wheel brace at tyre shops....I have never trusted a rattle gun alone either at a tyre shop nor at home....At a tyre shop, I don't wish to have a customer complaining they are stuck on the side of the road, with a flat, unable to undo their wheel nuts, or snapping a stud, or worst still, a wheel flying off.

At home, I don't wish to run the risk of snapping a stud on the side of the road undoing the wheel nut, or having my wheel come flying off and smacking some innocient person in the head. So I'll use a wheel brace to check they are tight by undoing them slightly, then tightening them up.

Fair call, not everyone goes to this trouble, but it's something installed into my brain from the time I learnt how to change a wheel

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon