Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Warranty

timcn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
i have a 2005 vz ss commodore, i'm thinking of getting a mail order tune done... will this affect my warrenty, since its nothing pysical holden wont be able to tell????, also how much does a OTRCAI cost?, thanks

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Holden probably wont be able to tell if it has been tuned, but be aware that there are already factory updates to fix issues with the calibration so your expensive tune may be over written with the latest standard calibration.
If the tuner locks the tune Holden will have to replace the PCM as they wont be able to program it & if they are on the ball they will realise its been tampered with & you may be charged for it.
Another point to ponder is that if the calibration has been modified from standard it no longer complies with emission laws so you & the tuner are open to fines from the EPA.

Rob

timcn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
oh ok, so really im just risking it?, can it be re written back to factory settings?, if there are such big risks with a tune why do so many people get it done?, a cant imagine a pcm being cheap if one would have replace one?, i think i might just have think about it lol, thanks

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
hows does holden tell if it has been tuned? if you just go in for a standard service?

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
so can they tell or not?

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
No, they can't tell....unless your tuner "locks" the tune - an electronic lock so the computer can't be re-written without a password.

If you take your car for a service and Holden has released a "patch" for the computer for your particular model, during the service they will install the patch. This will over-write your tune and it will be lost.

If they try to install the patch and the computer has been locked by the tuner, they will know somebody has been messing with the computer, and you risk being charged for additinal work and/or losing your warranty.

It would be woth chatting to your preferred tuner first, to see what can be done to overcome these issues.