Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Was the VT SS ever released with factory gas?

WILDVTSS

Resident rev head
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS Series 1
I brought a VT SS on gas recently, and it got me thinking whether Holden ever released the VT with factory gas?

Also, I'm trying to obtain the history of my car. I don't think it's stock, and I want to know what has been done to the motor without paying heaps. Any ideas?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
As far as I know, they didn't.

What makes you think it's not stock???

As far as your motor goes. Have a look and see if there are any after market broom broom mods on it.
Check the chip in the ECU.
If it has been modified internally, the only way you'd know is to strip it down.

WILDVTSS

Resident rev head
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS Series 1
What makes me think it isn't stock? I'm not exactly sure, but I only have to touch the throttle and I'm doing 60. I also have to be careful turning right a T intersections as it ends up sideways at the slightest provocation. It just feels like it has more power than 175kw

Last edited:

WILDVTSS

Resident rev head
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS Series 1
As far as I know, they didn't.

What makes you think it's not stock???

As far as your motor goes. Have a look and see if there are any after market broom broom mods on it.
Check the chip in the ECU.
If it has been modified internally, the only way you'd know is to strip it down.

What am I looking for chip wise? I don't know much about EFI Commodores

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Is it the 195i option?
If it is, it will have an HBD plate, on the radiator support panel, near the driver's side head light,
with the option code xx3 (195i).

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
What makes me think it isn't stock? I'm not exactly sure, but I only have to touch the throttle and I'm doing 60. I also have to be careful turning right a T intersections as it ends up sideways at the slightest provocation. It just feels like it has more power than 175kw
This has nothing to do with power, more to do with lack of driver skill I feel. A VT on gas would be a boring ass slug.

WILDVTSS

Resident rev head
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS Series 1
This has nothing to do with power, more to do with lack of driver skill I feel. A VT on gas would be a boring ass slug.

That's what makes me think it isn't stock. My car is no slug. I guess the only way to find out if anything has been done to the motor is on a dyno. Watch this space

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

VT SS 4.9/304 has plenty of grunt , also with no traction controll and the LSD is drives good in a straight line

any throttle on say a roundabout or even some slightly damp road cane make the car wheel spin

first drop of rain just enough to wet the road and my SS will fishtail on say 20% throttle , even doing say 40kph and stabbing the throttle a bit will fishtail

regards
george

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Invest in better tyres.