Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] wat should i do

p_schrapel

soon to be big turbo
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hey guys ive gotten lots of help from u guys and im after little more help. i just brought myself a set of forged diamond coated pistons 9.5:1 comp. new rods clevite bearings, i also got an intence stage 4 turbo cam as im turboing it and commetic head gaskets. im just wondering wat u guys would recommend to do to my engine block. im after as much power as possible and im not going to half ass my egine. i know i have a fair bit of comp but i like my comp.lol also wat turbo would people recomend. thanks guys

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
that comp is too high.. waste of a turbo tbh
8.5 would be better and you would use the turbo to its max potential

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
9.5 comp will be fine. Some good tuning and a well selected turb size/ ratio will see a very streetable potent little combo IMO

GT35/40 HME-8007, (GT40) 700hp, 1.06rear looks good. I'm not that knowledgable on turbs so don't know if this one is ext gated but that would be the way to go.

edit: what trans are you running? It's relevant to set up

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
9.5 is fine yes itll limit your power making potential but it doesnt mean everything how many killerwasp you high comp means a little less lag and throw some nice thick acl or cometic MLS gaskets in you can drop it down a bit.
As for block what rods you running if theyre stock replace them theyll be your weak point. Defenitely get it line honed and the bottom end balanced will help make it last longer.
I'd prefer to go the to4z on your setup much larger range of option when it come to housings and wheels

p_schrapel

soon to be big turbo
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
atm i have aftermarket rods from the states aswell as intence forged and dymond coated pistons, with cometic head gaskets. im also thinking about O'ringing the block just to help seal it from doing a head gasker, its mainly going to be driven on the track more the road. so it would have only the best race fuel in it, just need help wat i should ask the engine shop when i send it off to them this thursday, and yeah i have been recommened a gt 30 40

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
o rigning isnt needed with mls, as you long the surface is prepared properly there's no reason to o-ring it

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if you want the best reliability and to be able to run upwards of 20psi ide get it oringed and run the MLS gaskets

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
atm i have aftermarket rods from the states aswell as intence forged and dymond coated pistons, with cometic head gaskets. im also thinking about O'ringing the block just to help seal it from doing a head gasker, its mainly going to be driven on the track more the road. so it would have only the best race fuel in it, just need help wat i should ask the engine shop when i send it off to them this thursday, and yeah i have been recommened a gt 30 40

Ask the engine shop if they do oil system mods. The Ecotec has a few design flaws that are easily corrected during the build. de bur the **** out of the valley and a trap door/ baffle in the sump will help.

p_schrapel

soon to be big turbo
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ive heard about oil pressure problem and when i brought my parts from the states i got an oil pressure kit which increases the oil pressure up by around 30psi. on idle

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Who's building the engine? pm if you want.

There are some tasty oiling mods to be done while it's apart.