Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Watch out for 4WD's!!!

Streetvision

Scar-Non
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VP Commodore
I mean not to be offensive

But those cars are big and are made for the outback, some people who drive them just can't handle them they're too big.

I nearly got taken out by one, she was only a small lady, barely saw over the dash :\

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
1vngal said:
And those that do want a 4WD, for out the bush, go and buy just a cheap second hand one.

What are they built for? I can see some things going backwards with 4WD makers.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Streetvision said:
I mean not to be offensive

But those cars are big and are made for the outback, some people who drive them just can't handle them they're too big.

I nearly got taken out by one, she was only a small lady, barely saw over the dash :\

Yeah, get hit by a car, you might survive. Get hit by a 4WD with a bull bar and you're dead.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
1vngal said:
Honestly though, who in their right mind would take a $50,000 (for example) 4WD out the bush???
sorry, but the toyota lancruiser is 55k brand spankers, more for the turbo model
1vngal said:
And because of that, they end up in suburban areas, where they definately don't belong.
well, that's not why they're here. they're here because it's the "new" thing to be in a massive fuel sucking polluting vehicle that they can't control 100%
I was driving up the highway to work yesterday morning, saw a new kluger (i think) swerving all over the road, so I couldn't get past without pannel damage, turns out that the driver was paying attention,. but he was about 90 years old.
another guy in town here sold his porsche 911 turbo S cabriolet, to buy a cayenne turbo. this thing doesn't see dirty sealed roads, let alone dirt roads, and it's bigger than my VR, drinks more (and is undoubtedly more powerful) and I'm the bad guy of the 2 of us because I drive a "hoon-mobile" and yeah the guy's so up hiumself he's a human doughnut.
sorry, I'm ranting again

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I think the furthest off-road I have ever seen one go is halfway onto the pavement outside a school. If the woman who hit the VY turned any more, she would have been off-roading over that!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
1vngal said:
Honestly though, who in their right mind would take a $50,000 (for example) 4WD out the bush??? It's stupid....And because of that, they end up in suburban areas, where they definately don't belong.

And those that do want a 4WD, for out the bush, go and buy just a cheap second hand one.
The old man's got a $70000 land cruiser which he's taking up to the top end for the third time next week.
Why does he do it?
Cause he loves it, wants to do it in comfort, and says if he's going to spend that much on a 4wd he's gonna get the most out of it.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
1vngal said:
Honestly though, who in their right mind would take a $50,000 (for example) 4WD out the bush??? It's stupid....And because of that, they end up in suburban areas, where they definately don't belong.

My olds have a 40th ann cruiser wagon and that was $60,000 when they bought it new. Its done a lot of bush k's scrub bashing or sand tracks and it still looks perfect on the outside. Just because it goes "out the bush" does not mean we try to go down paths that would leave scratches on a motorbike. Taking a 4wd off road (what they are designed for) is not going to destroy them, rich moms trying to park them in the "small car only spaces" at your major city shopping center on the other hand will.

Streetvision

Scar-Non
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Slim said:
Yeah, get hit by a car, you might survive. Get hit by a 4WD with a bull bar and you're dead.

Yeah she was to busy yelling at her kids in the back to see the damn PEDESTRIAN CROSSING!

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Ok, let me re-phase myself...

What I meant is, these types of vehicles have been designed and built to adhere to the "bush", not suburban areas. So why some people buy these vehicles, to use just for everyday driving around towns etc. rather than use them for the purpose for which they are built, is beyond me.

Personally, if I wanted a vehicle to suit the "great outdoors' and had fifty-odd thousand dollars spare (i know this is not an exact figure, it just for example!!) I wouldn't buy a brand new one. I'd just buy a old one, so it wouldn't really matter if it got rolled or scratched, that way I'd be able to have some fun with it. Not creep around so I don't damage it...

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
some UK show, they put a land rover against a minivan, landrover made a MESS of itself, and minivan blue up but the crash test dummys reported, at worst, some broken wrist on the driver and kid in baby seat [ in back seat] as fine. they had to get the jaws of life in the landrover to get their dummy out of the drivers seat. i know which i would of rather be in.