Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

water for battery

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Tap water contains dissolved impurities, so as the water in the battery evaporates the solids do not and sink to the bottom forming a sediment. As this sediment builds up it reduces the surface area of the plate and reduces the effectiveness of the battery, shortening it's life.

It would be OK to use tap water occasionally but I wouldn't use all the time.

Having said that, it also depends on the quality of the tap water. IMO, filtered tap water would be perfectly fine.

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
how about boiled water from the kettle that's been boiled a couple of times? is that ok?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
how about boiled water from the kettle that's been boiled a couple of times? is that ok?

No different than tap water because the dissolved solids don't evaporate.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
I wouldn't be shortening the life of a hundred dollar battery, just to save three dollars on four litres of distilled water

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
if you need 4ltrs of distilled water to top your battery up, i well and truelly think ur battery is cactus :p

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
if you need 4ltrs of distilled water to top your battery up, i well and truelly think ur battery is cactus :p

Just bought a four litre bottle for my radiator.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I know this thread is answered, but i'll just add i have been using tap water in my batteries for years. Not that they need topping up very often at all, maybe once in their life if at all. Some ive had dont even make it to the first top up. Yes its bad, but a once off top up of town water wont hurt it, especially if its filtered. But as above if you know your town water has lots of minerals in it then it may be best to avoid it.
BTW rain water is not that good it catches many minerals on its way down, especially if your like me and live next to the steel works, its even worse if your collecting it off the ground or off your roof.