Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

water injection

sporty custom

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
has anyone used water injection just looking for opinions and results cheers.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
If it's =not= a blown or turbo'd engine then spraying water into the airstream will only make less power and worse economy because among other things it slows down the rate of combustion. Bit of an oversimplification there, but anyhoo... If you have a blown or turbo'd engine it will allow you to run more boost and therefore more power without pinging. Really good article here -> AutoSpeed - Water Injection

sporty custom

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
yeah fitted it to the car just trying to workout at what boost to have it come on at.and water methonal ratios and how much more timing to run,took it for a run other night with just water coming on at 5lbs of boost seem to start to pull harder once i hit 3rd anyway of keeping banana manifold cooler has to be a plus,,,

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
If it's =not= a blown or turbo'd engine then spraying water into the airstream will only make less power and worse economy because among other things it slows down the rate of combustion. Bit of an oversimplification there, but anyhoo... If you have a blown or turbo'd engine it will allow you to run more boost and therefore more power without pinging. Really good article here -> AutoSpeed - Water Injection

Darn, I hopped on this thread hoping someone had come up with a way to fill up from the garden hose at home, oh well looks like I'm off to the servo again haha.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
yeah! anyone explored extracting hydrogen from water to supplement regular fuel? I thought this post might be about that.......

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Here is some stuff about water and combustion that I think I understand until I have to explain it to somebody; then I know I don't.
--------------------
"During combustion - water - H2O ( present and formed ) is extremely active in the oxidation of the hydrocarbon. The predominant reaction is the following:

OH + H ==> H2O
H2O + O ==> H2O2
H2O2 ==> OH + OH
Loop to top and repeat.

The OH radical is the most effective at stripping hydrogen from the HC molecule in most ranges of combustion temperature.

Another predominant process is the HOO radical. It is more active at lower temperatures and is competitive with the H2O2 at higher temps.

OO + H ==> HOO
HOO + H ==> H2O2
H2O2 ==> OH + OH

This mechanism is very active at both stripping hydrogen from the HC and for getting O2 into usable combustion reactions.

Next consider the combustion of CO. Virtually no C ==> CO2. Its a two step process. C+O ==> CO. CO virtually drops out of early mid combustion as the OH reactions are significantly faster and effectively compete for the available oxygen.

Then consider that pure CO and pure O2 burns very slowly if at all. Virtually the only mechanism to complete the oxidisation ( Glassman - Combustion Third Edition ) of CO ==> CO2 is the "water method".

CO + OH ==> CO2 + H
H + OH ==> H20
H2O + O ==> H2O2
H2O2 ==> OH + OH
Go to top and repeat.

This simple reaction accounts for 99% + of the conversion of CO to CO2. It is important in that fully two thirds of the energy of carbon combustion is released in the CO ==> CO2 process and that this process occurs slow and late in the combustion of the fuel. Excess water can and does speed this
conversion - by actively entering into the conversion process thru the above mechanism.

The peak flame temperature is determined by three factors alone - the energy present and released, the total atomic mass, and the atomic ratio – commonly called CHON for Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and Nitrogen. The chemical reactions in combustion leading to peak temperature are supremely indifferent to pressure. The temperatures and rates of normal IC combustion are sufficient to cause most of the fuel and water present to be dissociated and enter into the flame."

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
^ my head hurts.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
So when you mang you v6 off the limit it completes this cycle about 16500 times a minute.

interesting.

Rowenb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Look at snow performance for water methanol kits. They look like good bits of gear with digital controllers that you can adjust in cab. I'm not one for mathematics but this gear makes alot of sense on a forced induction car with it coming on at a pre determined boost so you're not using it all the time like at hwy cruising speeds.
Snow Performance : Snow Performance Water Methanol Injection Systems. The Best Most Accurate Gas and Diesel Water Methanol Injection Strategies for Fuel Injected Carbureted Turbocharged Supercharged