Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water leak from auto trans, is it serious?

Jonarus_Drakus

Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina
Hi, bit of an 'emergency' here - I only noticed this leak yesterday, so the extreme heat (we hit 44.8 here in Bendigo, Victoria) MAY have played a part, since I had not seen any indications of any leaks before now.

But yes, it appears to be water/coolant only, it wasn't slick or otherwise 'oily' to the touch, though there was a faint aroma.

I hope I can get some feedback on this (am already going to go to my local Supercheap to get some more coolant and/or leak-stopper stuff), as I am due to take a road-trip across the state (and back at a later date)... on MONDAY (this Monday, the 23rd).

Thanks in advance

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Are you sure that is not just water? It is normal for water to come from around the transmission as the A/C drain hose is above the transmission and water will come from there when the aircon has been on.
If it is coolant then the only place that from is the heater core or maybe a leaking welch plug at the back of the heads. Any other coolant leaks would not be around the transmission area.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree with above, its probably a leaking heater core. Core leaks are relatively common. Mine leaks and drips a mixture of water from the evaporator and a touch of coolant from the core.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Probably just condensation from the Air Conditioning drain tubes.
Check the coolant level in the radiator just to be safe.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
If it's a V6 rear main seal plate also blocks of coolant ports on the block, so it can also leak from backing plate.

Jonarus_Drakus

Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina
I got some advice, and since it hasn't continued to leak, and it was only leaking after 'heavy load' (again, hit 44.8 during that day - so the AC was running FULL BORE all day), that it was most likely just condensation from the AC systems.

Upon checking other things (I did pick up a 'top up' bottle of coolant), it is pretty clear that my whole radiator/cooling system DOES need a full flush-out... SO much rust... ^^;
In any case, THAT isn't a quick or easy job, so I'll keep the coolant with me 'just in case', and book it in for its due service as soon as I get home.

Thanks all!

~JD

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
I sure do hope its the A/C drain, I to had a puddle during our recent 44 days to.
Service, Christ no why not do it yourself its an easy enough job.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Really???
No different to saying heater core, :D. Really:p his floor be wet. Heater core to the left, evaporator on the right so please tell me how both will mix, heater core must be leaking pretty bad through the rusty floor..