Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water Leak...

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Hi Guys/Gals

I was driving my car out of the drive way about 2 days ago and when i looked back there was a line of water on the ground.

The strange thing is, when i start the car and let it idle its fine, but when i put it into drive and take off it will start leaking.

I have gave it a really quick look at but couldnt see nothing, some of the hoses are really crap and i will replace them sometime this week.

Has anyone had this problem before or herd of something like this?

Please give me your thoughts, Thanks.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If you had the aircon on it was probably water from the drain tube.

mar06mir

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II V6
I had a similar problem before and it took me months to figure it out.

It was a faulty radiator cap. Its safety valve opened too soon letting hot coolant into the plastic tank which then overflowed via a hose that runs through the chassis so it cannot be seen from under the bonnet. The trouble is that the cap played up a lot, so it was good most of times.

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
i was just outside now, i let the car idle for around 15 mins. I did not see 1 leake.

Took it up the street and there was a long line of water. WHAT THE HELL!

I took a look at the water pump and it looked abit wet underneath.

Oh and this is a serious 1 i think. i dont have a radiator cap. there is a tube running from the side of the radiator into the resivor bottle.

So do you guys think that i might be the water pump?

mar06mir

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II V6
Yes, it looks like it. Run a finger under it, just behind its pulley after you stop the engine (careful, don't get burned). If the finger is wet it is definetely the pump. It's got a hole in the body just behind its seal for early detection of seal failure. You should also be able to see coolant on the harmonic ballancer below the pump.

Must have gone in a big way, though. Usually it only drips. Such a big leak you described is usually associated with hose rupture or reservoir overflow.

Good luck. A new pump would cost about $75 - $80, plus labour if you can't do it yourself (it's not too hard).

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Are you 100% sure it's not water running out of the exhaust :)??? there's TONS of water in the air you know and that doesn't burn and when your exhaust is cold it will all collect in the pipes then run out the back. I don't know where you live but if it's along the coast that should be what you are seeing

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Thanks for the info guys.
Im going over the car again today, i will check out the water pump which i think it might be.

mar06mir there is no coolent on the harmonic ballancer.

As i said before some of the hoses are in really bad condition, they are very stail and on the verge of cracking.

I am going to replace them today and then see how it goes. If it still leaks then ill take off the water pump and see if thats the culprit.

policehoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE
Get the car, pressure tested. That way you will be able to tell exactly where the leak is and get it fixed.