Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water leaking in cabin!!

Rawiri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR VT VY
Just bare in mind that the car does get driven during the day and the foot well still gets wet

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
I had a long term leaking issue on my 2010 Omega. During any decent rain it would leak into the front passenger footwell which would become saturates and when car was parked uphill, it would flow under the carpet and saturate the rear passenger side footwell.

I pulled the passenger side component of the cowel off and found a missing gromet in the wall of the drain coming off the windscreen. The whole lead straight into the passenger footwell so I placed a gromet (and some Sikaflex for good measure) and thought the problem would be solved.

Next time it rained heavily the passenger footwell became saturated again.. I pulled the wipers and the entire cowel off to get a good look. I found that where the aircon intake plastics were attached to the firewall, it was loose and the seal at the top had a 1-2mm gap along its whole length. The water would leak behind the plastics and through the aircons while in the firewall. I smothered the top and as far around the sides as I could with Sikaflex and the problem is solved!

In the photo below you can see the gromet I replaced in the bottom right, and the line of white Sikaflex above the aircon air intake.
View attachment 200764
Mine leaked in the same place . The seal between the cowl and the firewall seems to be a problem in the VE commodore .
I know it's an old thread. But I have the same problem and the last time I had the plastics off the bottom of the windscreen, I noticed that the cabin filter was kinda just sat in place, while the cowel at the top was dangling. Didn't have anything to glue it/seal it at the time. But would that be the cause as you stated? and would I just sikaflex like in the photo above?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s quite a few threads already covering this.