Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water leaking through door

Lesley65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 commodore Ute
Hi. Just wanted to see if anyone has had the same problem. I own a ve commodore ute, the past month water has been leaking through the window seal on drivers side into the door ( which sounds half full ) and onto the carpet causing big puddles. I can’t dry it out at the moment because rain won’t stop for another 2 weeks. I can’t get it looked at through insurance for another week and have no undercover areas.
does anyone know if it can cause further damage to anything besides the carpet?
I know I can drain the water from the door but won’t help much due to the rain continuing. Thanks

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi. Just wanted to see if anyone has had the same problem. I own a ve commodore ute, the past month water has been leaking through the window seal on drivers side into the door ( which sounds half full ) and onto the carpet causing big puddles. I can’t dry it out at the moment because rain won’t stop for another 2 weeks. I can’t get it looked at through insurance for another week and have no undercover areas.
I know I can drain the water from the door but won’t help much due to the rain continuing. Thanks
I just had to mop up the back seat carpet in my SSV after the torrential rain we had here. It’s a common problem with VEs.

My advise is to buy a car cover in the interim to stop more water getting in. I had a car cover but didn’t bother to put it on because I’ve not had any issues with rain getting in the car before. I’ll be making sure I put the car cover on now if it’s going to rain for eons!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If there is water sloshing around in the door, check for blocked drains in the bottom of the door.

icetechaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SPORTSWAGON
If there is water sloshing around in the door, check for blocked drains in the bottom of the door.
There are small slots in the door that are well hidden behind the door rubbers, a pipe cleaner works well to clean the slots out, I have the same issue with my wagon. I am planning on borrowing a wet /dry vacuum to see if I can dry the carpet out and get rid of the wet dog smell until I get a chance to pull the door trim off and see if I can fix it properly.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Ive just checked mine and it’s leaking past both the front door cards. All the water ends up in the rear footwells as the slope on the driveway means the car points slightly nose up.

I assume the previous owner has pulled the door cards at some point and not bothered to replace the plastic sheeting properly. Guess that will be this weekends job.

If you want to check yours just get your hose and put water down the outside weather stripping with the door open (windows up of course) and see where it comes out of.

Mine was fine on the back doors and only came out of the drain holes. The front doors though the water came out of the drain holes and out between the door card and the door itself.

Lesley65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 commodore Ute
cheers guys, I know where it’s coming from but will it cause any more damage then just water damage on the carpet?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Well it could cause black mould which can aggregate asthma and cause lung infections which in rare cases can cause death :rolleyes: but that’s not what your really asking :p

Internal electrical connectors aren’t sealed connectors like those external to the vehicle. As such, water inside the vehicle could cause corrosion around the connector pins should they get wet… And such corrosion can cause all sorts of future electrical gremlins that could ruining your day :(

Take the hint already provided and clean the door drain slots so your door isn’t full of water and hopefully won’t fill up and leak into the cabin again. Then go to Bunnings and hire a wet/dry vac and suck out as much water as possible from the carpet. Also consider putting the car under cover, if possible, so you avoid a repeat of the problem ;)

As for insurance, it does cover flood damage and idiots driving into flood water (though check your policy wording around driving past road closed signs)… As is, insurance doesn’t cover lack of maintenance by the owner which is what blocked door drain slots causing leaks into the cabin would be classified as. But who knows, during these NSW/QLD floods you may sneak it through but don’t bank on it :eek:

Lastly, there are other threads on the subject of water entering sedan and ute cabins which discuss known issues around poor design/manufacture/maintenance. May be worth a forum search :cool: