Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water loss

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Opinion or fact?

Water conducts heat better than a glycol/water mix.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Opinion or fact?

Water conducts heat better than a glycol/water mix.
Water boils earlier and vaporises, that will lead to cooling issues such as hot air pockets that can contribute to engine heat sink resulting in damage. It is to my understanding including opinion with referance to personal experience and manufacturers specification that coolant is to be within the cooling system if stated by the manufacturer. You can debate the issue with them. I certainly wont be draining the coolant from my vehicle and filling with water because you say to. Its functioned for 18 years without issue. You do seem to disregard the benifits of its application in all weather conditions also.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Anti-freeze as it's actually known is really only required if using vehicles in sub zero weather conditions. The major benefit of anti-freeze are the anti-corrosive properties contained which you can get as an additive to use with water. My L67 runs fine on water and has done so for many years. Never over heats which according to your earlier statements should occur....

If I was living in a location where where sub-zero temperatures was normal I would indeed use it.

Having said all that it doesn't change the fact that as a cooling medium water is better than any water/glycol mix. This is fact, also I would once again recommend you do some research on boiling point/pressure and what effects this has on the cooling system in your car but I'll give you a big hint, pressure effects the boiling point much more than adding glycol mixtures!

Tbh, it really doesn't bother me what you do with your car but before you continue to spread internet myths about vehicle cooling systems please check your facts.

Just adding water to a car's cooling system will NOT cause it to overheat.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Anti-freeze as it's actually known is really only required if using vehicles in sub zero weather conditions. The major benefit of anti-freeze are the anti-corrosive properties contained which you can get as an additive to use with water. My L67 runs fine on water and has done so for many years. Never over heats which according to your earlier statements should occur....

If I was living in a location where where sub-zero temperatures was normal I would indeed use it.

Having said all that it doesn't change the fact that as a cooling medium water is better than any water/glycol mix. This is fact, also I would once again recommend you do some research on boiling point/pressure and what effects this has on the cooling system in your car but I'll give you a big hint, pressure effects the boiling point much more than adding glycol mixtures!

Tbh, it really doesn't bother me what you do with your car but before you continue to spread internet myths about vehicle cooling systems please check your facts.

Just adding water to a car's cooling system will NOT cause it to overheat.
Seems your trying to create a superiority issue rather than provided a General Discusion Forum.

The application of pure water does lower the boiling temp.

This is some fact.

Does water conduct heat better than water glycol mix.

Water will transfer heat better than a combination of glycol and water.

Transfer meaning?

Transfer the heat around the radiator to be cooled.

So the benifit of a glycol mix?

Anti freeze and anti boil properties.

Water will freeze at 0c and boil at 100c, a glycol based coolant will freeze at -18c and boil at 104c when mixed at 33%.

A mixture reduces water vapourization compared to without because a glycol based mixture will not boil and therefor not steam.

A plain water mix will transfer heat better and therefor keep the vehicle cooler. If it gets to 100c it will boil unlike a gylcol based coolant so a mix controls/manages heat more effective to a higher temp as glycol based coolant can handle higher temperatures.

Does it evaporate or increase pressure as a mix compared to water.

It will evaporate eventually when it gets hot enough, but it will evaporate slower than water.

Number one you should never use only water, that will leave you with no protection against scale, corrosion & oxidation.

If something does manage to fail in the system the gylcol will take slightly higher temps and would avoid boiling unlike the plain water. Plus if you did happen to see -1c or lower which can happen in parts of Australia/Tas etc in winter a glycol mix would avoid any freezing damage upon cold start.

You could potentially test it yourself if you had a coolant temperature sensor, I doubt you'd see more than a degree or two difference between a 33-50% gylcol mix to straight water.

But then you will eliminate the boil at say 100c(water), also it vaporizing leaving a hot air pocket that will enevetably cause damage not cooling a affected area trapped with stem/air.

If water boils it vapourizes, evaporates leaving a hot air pocket not cooling. Water boils at 100c, and radiator if operating correctly should not get to 100c.

If a hot pocket was trapped within the engine block it would not cool as a result creating a higher temp due to Water boiling at a lower temp.

Boiling water vapourizing and evapouration of the total water amount is reduced over any duration allowing air to form within the entire system reducing circulation leading to a hot pocket that can cause a heat sink. Not everone tops up the radiater.

A sealed radiator without any leaks should not need to be topped up regularly unless it boils for eg:

A radiator should not get to 100c to boil unless there is a failure in the system in that case a failure is likely to increase the temperature to above 104c which a gylcol coolant would handle.

The benifits out way water in my opinion and I'll stick with the manufacturer recomendations.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had 50/50, 1060gm glycol mix and it boiled it head off a few weeks ago and squirted out the overflow onto the ground. The cap was working fine but the pressure was massive and it was enough to even damage the seal on the water pump as it developed a weep the next day.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Seems your trying to create a superiority issue rather than provided a General Discusion Forum.

The application of pure water does lower the boiling temp.

This is some fact.

Does water conduct heat better than water glycol mix.

Water will transfer heat better than a combination of glycol and water.

Transfer meaning?

Transfer the heat around the radiator to be cooled.

So the benifit of a glycol mix?

Anti freeze and anti boil properties.

Water will freeze at 0c and boil at 100c, a glycol based coolant will freeze at -18c and boil at 104c when mixed at 33%.

A mixture reduces water vapourization compared to without because a glycol based mixture will not boil and therefor not steam.

A plain water mix will transfer heat better and therefor keep the vehicle cooler. If it gets to 100c it will boil unlike a gylcol based coolant so a mix controls/manages heat more effective to a higher temp as glycol based coolant can handle higher temperatures.

Does it evaporate or increase pressure as a mix compared to water.

It will evaporate eventually when it gets hot enough, but it will evaporate slower than water.

Number one you should never use only water, that will leave you with no protection against scale, corrosion & oxidation.

If something does manage to fail in the system the gylcol will take slightly higher temps and would avoid boiling unlike the plain water. Plus if you did happen to see -1c or lower which can happen in parts of Australia/Tas etc in winter a glycol mix would avoid any freezing damage upon cold start.

You could potentially test it yourself if you had a coolant temperature sensor, I doubt you'd see more than a degree or two difference between a 33-50% gylcol mix to straight water.

But then you will eliminate the boil at say 100c(water), also it vaporizing leaving a hot air pocket that will enevetably cause damage not cooling a affected area trapped with stem/air.

If water boils it vapourizes, evaporates leaving a hot air pocket not cooling. Water boils at 100c, and radiator if operating correctly should not get to 100c.

If a hot pocket was trapped within the engine block it would not cool as a result creating a higher temp due to Water boiling at a lower temp.

Boiling water vapourizing and evapouration of the total water amount is reduced over any duration allowing air to form within the entire system reducing circulation leading to a hot pocket that can cause a heat sink. Not everone tops up the radiater.

A sealed radiator without any leaks should not need to be topped up regularly unless it boils for eg:

A radiator should not get to 100c to boil unless there is a failure in the system in that case a failure is likely to increase the temperature to above 104c which a gylcol coolant would handle.

The benifits out way water in my opinion and I'll stick with the manufacturer recomendations.

Aren't you clever but you still don't seem to comprehend the effect of pressurizing the cooling system and what effect that has on the boiling point of the coolant.

Btw, do you know at what temp the thermofan turns on on your stock standard V6 (3800, ecotec,l67)?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok. For those playing along. The low speed thermofan comes on at 104 degrees C and the high speed thermofan at 108 degrees C.

Hmmm, I wonder how those engines don't boil with that water/glycol mix if it's only raised the boiling point to 104 degrees!

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Ok. For those playing along. The low speed thermofan comes on at 104 degrees C and the high speed thermofan at 108 degrees C.

Hmmm, I wonder how those engines don't boil with that water/glycol mix if it's only raised the boiling point to 104 degrees!
mmmmm the same thought with water boiling at 100c